lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
mlb75
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Better handling options

I've got a 2018 Drive 2 that just isn't handling as well as I think it can, I'm sure it's part my fault but need options to make it better. The cart has a 6" lift, 24" tires, and the Plowman riot motor and controller. It's fine at lower speeds but as I get over 25 it just gets squirrely. I don't know what kind of lift it is since it was on the cart when I got it but do know the spindles have a drop to them vs using what I assume would have been factory spindles and different a arms...

My thought is either changing out the lift (don't want to if I don't have to because of cost) or adding steering stabilizers.

What say you???
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #2
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Better handling options

I'd say some photos of the front of the cart would be very helpful to the gurus.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:17 AM   #3
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Have you tried different tire pressures?

Everything underneath the cart nice, tight, and properly adjusted?
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Wheels with a negative offset would widen the stance of the cart. That might help as well.
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Assuming everything is tight, and there are no worn connections, loose nuts, and bearings are in good condition, simple alignment of the front wheels is likely all that is needed. First, lift the front of the cart and see if there is any free play. Spindle, hub, steering, etc. If not, slight negative toe would help...1/8" to 1/4". Set the wheels straight, find the center line of the tires, measure the distance between the left and right front centerlines at both the front and rear of the tires across the width of the cart. The front measurement should be slightly less than the rear measurement. "Toe'd in" I will assume you are toe's out currently, hence the high speed squirrelyness. Just need to adjust the tie rods equally on both sides to get to the slightly toe's in condition.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
mlb75
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Sorry it's been a busy couple days. I've attached a couple pics to hopefully help. I think I may have found the issue but not sure how to fix it yet. When I jacked the cart up I found there is a TON of play in what I'd call the camber of the front wheels it normally sits with a fair amount of camber but didn't realize it could move around like it does. The arm that's circled in the pic has way to much play if I pull at the top and bottom of the wheel. From the front and back it's tight IE steering but the other makes no sense. The bolt is tight there just doesn't seen to be any bearing or bushing in the arm to keep it from moving.

Is there a bushing missing or is that play normal? I can't imagine it making that much difference but could it just need grease?

What pressure do others run in their tires?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3020.jpg (135.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3021.jpg (121.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg movement.jpg (572.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That is not good - and you second picture looks like it is towed out. Also not good. I would check the toe and get rid of any play in the suspension. In my opinion anything over about 20mph is pushing it for a golf cart - especially if it doesn't have front brakes!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:42 PM   #8
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb75 View Post
Sorry it's been a busy couple days. I've attached a couple pics to hopefully help. I think I may have found the issue but not sure how to fix it yet. When I jacked the cart up I found there is a TON of play in what I'd call the camber of the front wheels it normally sits with a fair amount of camber but didn't realize it could move around like it does. The arm that's circled in the pic has way to much play if I pull at the top and bottom of the wheel. From the front and back it's tight IE steering but the other makes no sense. The bolt is tight there just doesn't seen to be any bearing or bushing in the arm to keep it from moving.

Is there a bushing missing or is that play normal? I can't imagine it making that much difference but could it just need grease?

What pressure do others run in their tires?
Thinking with the speeds generated by the Riot Kit, you might change from the Drop Spindle Lift to an A-Arm style Lift, the Safety and Stability would be worth the it to me.

I run 20psi, with the higher speeds you're running, I'd try 16-18-20 and see how the cart feels.

Let us know what the fix is

Ed
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
mlb75
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Not sure on the toe exactly, it may be a bit toe out but the wheels weren't straight so it may be a bit deceiving. I'll check and correct as needed but unless there's a way to take the play out of the other joints I don't see it getting much better. Does anyone make a steering stabilizer for these things?

I'm pretty much resigned to buying a different lift (this one was on the cart when I got it) which sucks but there's no way I could turn my nephews loose on it the way it is. Who makes the nicest lift for these carts? This one is supposedly a 6" which I'm fine with but would be ok with a 3-4 since I don't off road it as long as it'll still clear 24-25" tires.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I'm a big fan of the RHOX BMF lift kits. This one should fit your cart since you said it was electric.

http://www.rhox.us/pc_product_detail...1A5FAB10727009
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha