lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Default Dead yammy

I have a older yamaha golfcart with an expired engine and I wanting to get it running again the cheapest way possible. Looking around on here I see people swapping predator engines and honda clones and am curious what is involved. I am a fabricator by trade so mounting the motor is simple I am just curious what else is involved. Will I come out cheaper rebuilding stock motor or doing a swap? Not sure what model cart it is but I will find out this afternoon and check back, Thanks Aaron

Ill add this looking at pictures online it is a G2/G9 not sure what the difference is?
aarolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Dead yammy

For a stock re-manufactured engine talk to Don at Plowman's Carts.
>>http://www.plowmanscarts.com/

or

For a big block replacement engine talk to Tom at CPP.
>>http://www.cartpartsplus.com/

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
For a stock re-manufactured engine talk to Don at Plowman's Carts.
>>http://www.plowmanscarts.com/

or

For a big block replacement engine talk to Tom at CPP.
>>http://www.cartpartsplus.com/
Pulled it out of the weeds this afternoon and started troubleshooting, it has a weak yellow/orange spark, 60lbs compression dry and cold and old gas but despite all that I did get it to run briefly and roughly. It has lots of spiderwebs and rat nests in it and somehow the plastic cowling was melted to the head, first order of buisness is to pull the motor and start cleaning up the engine bay and wiring. I found a local place that will supply a refurbished engine at 550+ a core so that's my plan of attack right now. I haven't found any id plate on it anywhere how can I be sure what model I have for part ordering and schematic searches?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Are there any sources for the plastic cowling that goes all around the engine? It was all melted to the engine and badly damaged and I fear without it I will just have alot of overheating issues even when I do get it running.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Used is prob the best way to go. Sounds like it needs alot of tlc before you try to get it running. I'd drain the gas, change oil, clean it all out, clean carb, new spark plug, and give it a try. Squirt some oil in the spark plug hole and work the engine over for a bit to loosen up the rings. You might have a runner who knows?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
aarolar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Used is prob the best way to go. Sounds like it needs alot of tlc before you try to get it running. I'd drain the gas, change oil, clean it all out, clean carb, new spark plug, and give it a try. Squirt some oil in the spark plug hole and work the engine over for a bit to loosen up the rings. You might have a runner who knows?
I found a used parts cart locally and if they guy hold up his end of the deal ill have it in my possession this weekend. Has a ton of the parts I am needing including the cowling.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That is really low compression like under half what it should be. Melted to the engine, I think I'd toss a 420cc clone in it and be on your way. I have two threads on doing it, its a project that takes a while but not anything difficult really. The mount is easy as is the wiring, its the throttle linkage and intake/exhaust plumbing that takes the most time IMO. I'm still trying to finish up my airbox so I can jet it.

I got my clone from home depot for 250 early this spring then they went to the normal price of 300. I paid over 100 to have my head cut and ported but that is something you don't need to do. I have about 60 into a custom made exhaust with a rotating coupling and 30 for a new car muffler, 12 for a SS tip, 8 for muffler pipe hangars. $10 for the car airbox and still have to get it piped up to the engine. Have the stock airbox on there at the moment trying to break it in.

Even a 390 clone will work a lot better than stock. The real advantage of a kit or staying stock is you can have it running again in and hour or two...ok more for the kit but lots more if you do a clone.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha