lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: My '87 Club Car

Cart is back together, drove it around my relatively small yard yesterday. I'm going to take it out to my in-laws this evening to "road-test" it. Wish me luck!
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

looks good and good luck on the road test.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Well I took the cart out for it's second "torture test" and it failed again. For some reason the motor loses power and the cart slows to a creep after about 5 minutes of wide-open-throttle. I let it cool down and it regains power for a short while. It also seems to run hot.

The motor also smokes, not from the tailpipe but from around where the carburetor mounts (?). Seems like too much smoke to be coming from the carb flange. I'll have to look into that.

But the biggest issue that has resurfaced is that it sounds like the connecting rod is loose on the crank journal (again). I guess both of my old cranks I tried are worn out, after all they were used, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

With these seemingly unrelated issues, I've moved a few steps closer to a clone swap at this point...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Wow spring, you've had some ordeal! Been reading your posts. Good job on the cart man! Stuck with it and got it done. Still can't believe that thing was running with just the carb hanging on the studs. WOW!! and LOL!!! Good thing it didn't catch of fire.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Thanks Spriddle. Still having motor issues but I'll figure it out and get it going eventually.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #16
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Well my cart is back up and running again! Bought a used but running KF82 from yammie. Engine runs great so far. I decided to break the law and take it down a neighborhood street to wind it out and it seemed to do well. Still need to take it over to the local campground to really test it but I think (fingers-crossed) that the third times a charm.

I think that the last time I ran the cart and the motor overheated that I didn't have the governor adjusted properly, it felt like it was over-revving. I have now set the governor according to mfg spec and it feels like its running the way it should.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
yammie
Getting Wild
Club Car

Glad u got it in, that's a good motor but I think my 18 hp vanny is better :) good luck with the rest of the cart
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammie View Post
Glad u got it in, that's a good motor but I think my 18 hp vanny is better :) good luck with the rest of the cart
You may be correct, but my motor is actually in the cart and running.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That old motor wont get HOT from high RPM`s I ran my old motor right up against the valves all the time never had any heating problems, sounds like the cam timing is off in your old motor, I`ve had so many problems over the years with those camshafts it aint funny, glad to hear its running good now with the replacement engine, do you have the ignition coil with the rpm limiter box or the coil without the rpm limiter??
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #20
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

How can I tell if I have the limiter? The motor is an '86 and the cart is an '87.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides