lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2023, 11:26 AM   #1
jaymz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default DRL wiring

This isn't so much a "how do I do it" post so much as a "I wanna make sure I'm right" post.

I'm semi-restoring a 97 48v CC DS. It currently has a fully functioning incandescent lighting system (brakes, turn signals, tail & headlights). My plan is to install LED headlights that have turn signals and DRL's built in.

Existing front turn signal wiring will be re-routed to the new lights, with the existing front signal lights being repurposed as running lights. Simple enough, just run an extra wire from the headlight switch (relay actually - more on that below) to the former turn signal light. I will also be changing the single position headlight switch to a 2 position so I can have just running lights on position 1, and running lights and headlights @ position 2.

Here's where I want verification:
DRL's are going to be independent of all other lighting - on with key switch, off with running and/or headlights. I'm going to use this relay to trigger a standard 5 pin 12VDC relay. I have the wiring in my head as follows:

48VDC relay coil terminals will be fed by 48v from key switch, the other side of the coil will go to battery pack negative.

COM terminal will be 12V B+ from fuse block.
NO will be 12V out to #30 12V relay.

#85 on 12V to 12V buss bar ground.
#87a on 12V to DRL +
#87 on 12V to running lights +.
#86 on 12V to headlight switch B+ out to running lights.

If I'm not screwing something up in my head, the key will energize the 48V relay, send 12V to the headlight relay and energize NC 87a to turn on DRL's. Turn headlight switch to any position will energize coil, and switch power from NC 87a to NO 87, killing DRL's and turning on running and/or headlights.

i'd love to have provided a diagram to make understanding clearer than mud, but I'm not that computer literate.
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DRL wiring

To clarify you want to have a set of lights that come on when the key turns on provided that you have not activated the switch for either the running lights or the headlights?

Why do you desire to have both a DRL and a Running lights? What will be the difference? I can understand wanting to have a set of running lights/fog lights and a set of headlights mounted in a different spot but 3 different options seems a bit much?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:24 PM   #3
jaymz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
To clarify you want to have a set of lights that come on when the key turns on provided that you have not activated the switch for either the running lights or the headlights?
Correct.

Quote:
Why do you desire to have both a DRL and a Running lights?
To be brutally honest - Because I can. And it's not something I've seen yet (though I'm sure it's been done by someone, somewhere). The intent is essentially to make the lighting behave like a car does. DRL's are typically standalone and turn off when running and/or headlights are activated.

Quote:
What will be the difference? I can understand wanting to have a set of running lights/fog lights and a set of headlights mounted in a different spot but 3 different options seems a bit much?
The difference is that they will activate with zero input from the driver (other than turning on the key) and will theoretically make the cart easier to be seen. The actual headlights are used to make it easier to see. And like I said before, there's no real "good" reason other than I can, and I figured "why not make the lights behave like a car"?
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:27 PM   #4
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fair enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
Correct.

To be brutally honest - Because I can. And it's not something I've seen yet (though I'm sure it's been done by someone, somewhere). The intent is essentially to make the lighting behave like a car does. DRL's are typically standalone and turn off when running and/or headlights are activated.

The difference is that they will activate with zero input from the driver (other than turning on the key) and will theoretically make the cart easier to be seen. The actual headlights are used to make it easier to see. And like I said before, there's no real "good" reason other than I can, and I figured "why not make the lights behave like a car"?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car