lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2023, 07:43 AM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Lugnuts for Clubcar

My lugnuts on my aftermarket wheels look terrible. THey are chrome and have rusted badly. Has anyone found a good option to replace that doesn't rust? Live close to beach and the salt air gets everything

I found some SS ones made for a boat trailer that are the correct thread, but not sure of they are correct size to seat to the wheel

or do I just need to buy new chrome ones every year or 2? Wouldn't be opposed to the black ones if they do any better
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2023, 10:17 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Lugnuts for Clubcar

Be careful of lug nuts that have just a stainless steel cap on them. They look fine until rust gets under the cap, then the cap expands and sockets won't fit on the nut and they tend to round off which leaves you with few options to remove it that don't involve damaging the wheel.
You can buy solid stainless steel lug nuts but those may have interference issues with your wheel, since they tend to have a larger outer hex size.

A painted lug nut may do better than chrome ones, but only if the paint doesn't get damaged by the socket when putting them on/off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:04 PM   #3
PLYSGLF
Not Yet Wild

Pretty sure mine are MODZ in black. They weren't too expensive. $20 range. Did take a little extra caution when installing i.e., I didn't use a power tool. After 4 years they are still black here in the PNW.
PLYSGLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #4
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Be careful of lug nuts that have just a stainless steel cap on them. They look fine until rust gets under the cap, then the cap expands and sockets won't fit on the nut and they tend to round off which leaves you with few options to remove it that don't involve damaging the wheel.
You can buy solid stainless steel lug nuts but those may have interference issues with your wheel, since they tend to have a larger outer hex size.

A painted lug nut may do better than chrome ones, but only if the paint doesn't get damaged by the socket when putting them on/off.
Good call on the stainless capped lugnuts. Definitely dont want to end up with them stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLYSGLF View Post
Pretty sure mine are MODZ in black. They weren't too expensive. $20 range. Did take a little extra caution when installing i.e., I didn't use a power tool. After 4 years they are still black here in the PNW.
Think I will try the black ones- They inexpensive so if they last a couple years then I will be happy
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:37 PM   #5
SV1
Getting Wild

Don’t worry you can always get the stainless capped ones off. I have one stuck in my lug wrench to prove it. Keep this in mind for your trucks and cars too. The nuts work good for a couple of years then swell up or the cap falls off and you are in between sizes.
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:25 AM   #6
Beerman24
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Lugnuts for Clubcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1 View Post
Don’t worry you can always get the stainless capped ones off. I have one stuck in my lug wrench to prove it. Keep this in mind for your trucks and cars too. The nuts work good for a couple of years then swell up or the cap falls off and you are in between sizes.

Yup FORDs are known for this issue and they won’t fix it smh
Beerman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:33 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1 View Post
After the caps come off a nut that was originally a 3/4" (19mm) hex can usually be removed with an 18mm socket. The worst is when the caps are still on but rust has them swelled up and rounded.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:00 AM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerman24 View Post
Yup FORDs are known for this issue and they won’t fix it smh
We know You meant to say Mopar
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:40 AM   #9
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
We know You meant to say Mopar
Ford, Chrysler, GM... All the American manufacturers did it. I have to wonder if pissing off their customers was really worth the price savings. Can the capped nuts really have saved much over the solid closed nuts? Even the cheapest of the Koreans (Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo) used solid lug nuts.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car