lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2023, 10:23 AM   #1
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 03 club Car DS/pathway rear 4 link project

What’s up y’all, it’s been awhile since I’ve visited this site due to the fact that I pretty much finished up my cart and really hand nothing else to share. Well, of corse I found something else to do to it.

In the past I put a 6” SGC entry level coil over lift kit on my 2003 cc pathway (street legal version) and I wasn’t to thrilled with the way it rode on the streets at 35+ mph. So I really started to think about making my own 4 link in the rear and pinching for the “Jake’s 6” long arm” kit for the front. I was really getting tired of of the ride so about a month ago I ripped out the old suspension and started fabricating my own 4 link in the rear.

So that’s why I’m here today to share my build with everyone and show the progress as I go.

I started with 1/2 ton u bolt plates that sit blow the stock leaf location and another that sits on top of the lift block. I used 9-1/6 square u bolts to lock it all together and then started to build off of that. I purchased the necessary shock tabs, hiem joints, a piece of angle iron to make custom upper brackets.

Here is the finished mock up of the rear, time to weld!
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #2
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 03 club Car DS/pathway rear 4 link project

Looks really nice.

Smart move on going with the Jake’s up front. I’m finishing up a build where I adapted TRX450R front arms. I finally got it worked out well but it was a lot of work and reworking to get the geometry right.

I see you’re using a pan hard with your four link. Very interesting. I did not use a pan hard on my fourlink build. I’m very interested in how that works out for you so keep us posted once it’s done.

What shocks are you using in the rear? They look really good.

One thing I learned about my 4 link is I really need a good shock with hiem joints to tolerate the movement when in off camber situations. The shocks bind if they are solid rubber mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marathon Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:22 PM   #3
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oh. I see why your using a pan hard. You don’t have any triangulation in your four link. Looks more like a drag car set up but looks like you may have lower anti squat values than a drag car because of your angles.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:48 PM   #4
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Matt View Post
Oh. I see why your using a pan hard. You don’t have any triangulation in your four link. Looks more like a drag car set up but looks like you may have lower anti squat values than a drag car because of your angles.

Yeah both top and bottom links are inline, if one of them (top or bottom came to the center of the cart then there would really be no need to the panhard you’re right. But being I have the motor on the axle and all the brake components under the middle of the cart, I just figured I’d do it this way. Plus the panhard looks sick from the rear🤙🏻

The shocks are knock off 14.5” eye to eye ohlins STX36 coil shock. We’ll see how they hold up from what I observe they are pretty well built with two fictional dampening adjustments and spring preload adjustment. Honestly, they look like they’re better quality than the Jake’s front coil shocks. I’m not going to be going off road much or even at all so we’ll see how the mounting points on the shocks hold up.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:20 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The "parallel 4 link" is used on many off road vehicles and race cars alike. The Jeep Wrangler TJ and FJ Cruiser both use the very same 4 link type setup. Triangulated types are popular with the rock crawling crowd. Very nice work! Please follow up and let us know how it operates and rides.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 07:39 AM   #6
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The "parallel 4 link" is used on many off road vehicles and race cars alike. The Jeep Wrangler TJ and FJ Cruiser both use the very same 4 link type setup. Triangulated types are popular with the rock crawling crowd. Very nice work! Please follow up and let us know how it operates and rides.
Yeah I was going after the tried and true 4 link setup that a lot of these extreme seam builders do on their show trucks with the huge coil overs. Seems like a popular setup. Yeah, I figured that I wasn’t going to be doing much or any off-roading or any at that, so this setup was going to be the ticket on how I was going to build the rear.

Thanks for the complement man, I’ll for sure keep this thread updated all the way down to the bitter end when I’m cruising and soaking up the bumps down the city streets..or in a ditch due to suspension failure, which I hope is NOT the case😂
Old 02-24-2023, 07:47 AM   #7
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well this morning I got ahead on installing part of the front Jake’s long arm kit…moving right along. Looking to start tacking and welding up the rear later this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2DDB52F8-EAD4-4045-8303-E81DB7CC8D18.jpg (108.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2023, 10:08 AM   #8
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 03 club Car DS/pathway rear 4 link project

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXeD-OuT-CLUB View Post
Yeah both top and bottom links are inline, if one of them (top or bottom came to the center of the cart then there would really be no need to the panhard you’re right. But being I have the motor on the axle and all the brake components under the middle of the cart, I just figured I’d do it this way. Plus the panhard looks sick from the rear[emoji1689]

The shocks are knock off 14.5” eye to eye ohlins STX36 coil shock. We’ll see how they hold up from what I observe they are pretty well built with two fictional dampening adjustments and spring preload adjustment. Honestly, they look like they’re better quality than the Jake’s front coil shocks. I’m not going to be going off road much or even at all so we’ll see how the mounting points on the shocks hold up.

Makes total sense and I am betting it’s going to work really really good for your application.

I think those shocks will work well for you too especially since your using the pan hard bar which should keep you shock travel on a single plane, or close to it.

Do those shocks have bushing mounts or ball in socket like a heim joint?

Also, did you use a 4 link calculator to determine your anti squat?

I recently figured out that my initial 4 link geometry had too much anti squat and was causing my rear end to be too stiff. I was initially at about 110, which is good for rock crawlers and such, I’m fabricating new lower link brackets for my frame side to get the lower link more parallel and expect my anti squat to go down to about 65 or so. I think it will help with the lack of plushness that I experienced on my test runs. I really want a plush ride over rough terrain like a desert truck, etc.

Can’t wait to hear your results. I really like your design a lot. Very clean and much easier to make work in the cramped spaces we have to work with on an electric powered cart axle.

Old 02-24-2023, 10:14 AM   #9
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

Front end is looking great. Are you going to use the Jake’s disc brake system with it?

Old 02-24-2023, 11:47 AM   #10
MaXeD-OuT-CLUB
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Matt View Post
Do those shocks have bushing mounts or ball in socket like a heim joint?

Also, did you use a 4 link calculator to determine your anti squat?

Yeah the shocks have a rubber bushing mount.

Not sure what you mean by the 4 link calculator for anti squat. Are you talking pre load on the shocks?

Edit: yeah I just watched a short video on calculating anti squat. Yeah I didnt do any of that. Hahah I just tried to make it as symmetrical as much as I could. As for preload in the shock I believe these will hold up the cart pretty well due to the fact that these have a bunch of setting and pre load adjustments to play with.

A few weeks ago I bought the same shocks but they were 12.5” long vs 14.5” long and a bit smaller diameter spring thickness. I tested them out by making a make shift contraption that held both shocks vertically and I was able to lower the cart down to see if the would with stand the weight of the rear of the cart… and yes they did but soaked up a lot of travel with leaving me only about 2” of travel with the preload nut pretty much at the bottom of the shock. So I returned them and got the next size up which I have now, so I think these ones will do, we’ll see.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts