lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2023, 01:49 PM   #21
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: fe290 rev limiter disconnected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Bob View Post
Could you please post a picture of the belt and clutches when at rest?

As stated earlier, worn clutch faces, worn or sticking clutch plate movement, or too long or too narrow of a belt may cause these issues.

In service mode, when revved up, the engine (primary) clutch should have the belt all the way out to the largest diameter, and the driven (secondary) clutch should have the belt all the way to the bottom, for maximum speed ratio.
oops i meant to post pics the other day.

see below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutchoff.jpg (83.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg clutchrunning.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2023, 06:57 PM   #22
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Clearly the belt is not ever getting to the largest diameter of the engine clutch, as shown by the dirt/corrosion on the outer edges of the faces.

Either wear of the engine clutch is not allowing it to shift the faces all the way together, or something in the secondary clutch is not allowing it to open up all the way.
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:02 PM   #23
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It may be worn, maybe broken flyweight inside or something jammed or stuck inside.

For $109 I wouldn’t bother. Your clutch looks like it’s probably original to the cart. I’d just replace it. This is the one I bought for my 94 DS and it works perfectly fine. Just be aware that you may or probably will have to switch the starter gen pulley from your old clutch to the new one. It’s just 3 bolts and swaps right over, takes about 30 seconds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28491361050...mis&media=COPY
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:47 PM   #24
Ricks_club
Gone Wild

Don't you just love it when someone wants you to spend your money on something that may not be required.

How do you know the problem is the drive clutch ?

Buy the drive clutch, go thru all the trouble getting the old one off, getting the generator pulley bolted on to the clutch, put it all together again only to see that the same problem still exist.

Why not take both the drive and driven clutches off and looking at them to see if there is a problem. Maybe they just need some TLC.

Richard
Ricks_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:07 PM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You’re right. I’ve never really worked on a DS before. I’m not entirely sure what I’m talking about but I’m excellent at talking out of my rear. And I can’t see the wear on the clutch sheaves either. I’ve never seen or had a clutch with wear exactly like this either.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:16 AM   #26
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

How about just: remove the drive belt, run the engine with no drive belt on the clutch & see if it snaps shut all the way on its own? If it does, the problem is in the driven (rear) clutch not opening enough. If the drive (front) clutch DOESN'T close then the problem is within that drive clutch. Doing this you can narrow the search before taking all of that apart.

Last edited by meimk; 03-21-2023 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:50 AM   #27
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
How about just: remove the drive belt, run the engine with no drive belt on the clutch & see if it snaps shut all the way on its own? If it does, the problem is in the driven (rear) clutch not opening enough. If the drive (front) clutch DOESN'T close then the problem is within that drive clutch. Doing this you can narrow the search before taking all of that apart.

It does not, drive clutch acts the same without drive belt. I noticed that when i originally started messing with it. and was running it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks_club View Post
How do you know the problem is the drive clutch ?

Buy the drive clutch, go thru all the trouble getting the old one off, getting the generator pulley bolted on to the clutch, put it all together again only to see that the same problem still exist.

Why not take both the drive and driven clutches off and looking at them to see if there is a problem. Maybe they just need some TLC.

To be fair I've had the clutch off for a week, just tried to take it apart yesterday with a puller and the three bolts that screw into the cover started to strip out (shocker). I plan on trying to re-tap them. Lots of rust is coming out of the clutch itself and it says club car on it so I'm sure its 27 years old.

OEM clutch rebuild kits are $120+, do I need a full rebuild kit or just weights? Never rebuilt one before.

If i have to buy a new clutch it wont be the end of the world but I did want to try and get mine opened up just out of curiosity though that may not happen at this point.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #28
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Hold something with a straight edge against the sheaves where the belt rides. You’ll see how it’s all wavy. This is what’s called being fished out. They should be ruler flat on both sides.

There’s no fix for the wavy sheaves except a new clutch.

These clutches usually wear at the top 1/3 of the sheaves because 95% of the time that’s where the belt is riding when you’re driving the cart. This wears the material off the sheaves and then the belt can’t ride there anymore because it’s not wide enough. It slowly and gradually sinks further and further towards the center.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #29
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Hush CP. You don’t know anything about clutches..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:11 PM   #30
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Hush CP. You don’t know anything about clutches..

Truthfully I don’t know anything about anything. I told you I’m good a just putting a bunch of words together and blowing them all gleefully out my a$$
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car