lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2023, 12:35 PM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default fe290 rev limiter disconnected?

I dont know how I never noticed this in the last couple years since I owned the cart, but on my 96 (counter clockwise) fe290 i noticed the brown wire (ground) has been snipped.

Cart has never had spark issues tsince i've owned it, I have sped it up with the zip tie mod and even had it cut out on me. I assumed the rev limiter was working fine. Thankfully I have never had any issues, or thrown a rod through the block so I'm assuming I just haven't sped it up enough. I have driven it quite a bit for several miles wide open, cruising about 23 mph (23" tires) without issue.

Since the brown wire was snipped, this leads me to believe my rev limiter was acting up and the previous owner just snipped it to bypass. However when I grounded the wire with a jumper wire to the frame and tried to run the cart it ran fine. I'm trying to figure out what I am missing, I want to replace the rev limiter though I'm not sure I need to - I have heard these motors a pretty sturdy and maybe that proves it since I havent had any issues.

is there another way to check the rev limiter besides grounding it? I was just working backwards because from my understanding snipping the brown wire was a temporary bypass for a failing rev limiter
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2023, 01:00 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: fe290 rev limiter disconnected?

Often the rev limiter starts acting up when it gets hot. Hook it back up and run it, see if it starts acting like it doesn't want to run after the engine has warmed up to full temp for 15-20 minutes.
If it runs fine leave it hooked up. Some people disconnect them think its the speed governor and it will make it run faster. Some people disconnect it thinking its causing an issue that turns out to be something else, or just for giggles.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:43 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Any time there is a spark issue on one of those, my first "test" is to see if disconnecting that RPM limiter ground makes a difference. I unbolt it myself, but cutting it would be quicker. I can see a situation where someone might have clipped it, found it didn't make a difference, and continued further testing till they found the real problem. As long as the mechanical governor is still functioning a person might never know the difference (op didn't).
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:19 AM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Any time there is a spark issue on one of those, my first "test" is to see if disconnecting that RPM limiter ground makes a difference. I unbolt it myself, but cutting it would be quicker. I can see a situation where someone might have clipped it, found it didn't make a difference, and continued further testing till they found the real problem. As long as the mechanical governor is still functioning a person might never know the difference (op didn't).
I'm guessing that what happened, I'm just surprised I A.) never noticed it visually when i've been underneath the cart working on it or B.) i havent exploded my motor driving it 6-7 miles wide open. Apparently the mechanical governor works because it has cut out in the past.

Going to try and get it warmed up today and reconnect the ground today like fairtax suggest as the weather should be good. It doesnt surprise me the wire was just snipped - there were several half assed repairs to this cart when I got it (owned by property management company, probably just needed the quickest fix)
Old 02-08-2023, 10:18 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Apparently the mechanical governor works because it has cut out in the past.
The mechanical governor doesn't make anything "cut out".
Valve float will... Or running out of fuel. Or if the coil is going bad it could cause that.

The mechanical governor in the trans is based on wheel speed, and all it does is change how much the governor cable pulls on the throttle valve. It doesn't make quick changes, and it will not cause the engine to turn off.
If the governor cable is misadjusted or has been altered or defeated (zip tie), then it will hold the throttle wide open until the engine blows.
It can also blow the engine if the clutches are damaged or severely worn and do not open/close properly. Thus the need for the rev limiter on the engine.

The rev limiter cuts spark, which slows down the engine temporarily until it gets below the rpm threshold of the limiter. Spark comes back and it will run again until it hits the threshold and cut out again.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Valve float will... Or running out of fuel. Or if the coil is going bad it could cause that.

The mechanical governor in the trans is based on wheel speed, and all it does is change how much the governor cable pulls on the throttle valve. It doesn't make quick changes, and it will not cause the engine to turn off.
If the governor cable is misadjusted or has been altered or defeated (zip tie), then it will hold the throttle wide open until the engine blows.
It can also blow the engine if the clutches are damaged or severely worn and do not open/close properly. Thus the need for the rev limiter on the engine.

The rev limiter cuts spark, which slows down the engine temporarily until it gets below the rpm threshold of the limiter. Spark comes back and it will run again until it hits the threshold and cut out again.
That makes sense hence the name "mechanical" governor

having said that, I have no idea but it has for sure cut out on me when I was setting it up for zip tie mod - at least I think it did? maybe that was the other cart. nevertheless, i will continue my testing
Old 02-20-2023, 04:20 PM   #7
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

I took the bracket off and cleaned everything up/painted, and replaced all the old rusty hardware so it took me a few days to get everything back together. Currently with brown wire hooked up the motor cuts out at about 16mph (used to get 21-22), then tries to run again and repeatedly cuts out. I am assuming these are all signs that my rev limiter is working properly.

I do have a zip tie on there to speed it up, and have ran the cart for a couple years (no idea on rpms) getting 21-22 mph even when I drive it wide open for 5-6 miles at a time with the pedal to the floor.

Plan for now is to remove the brown wire and continue as is. Not sure on RPMS but haven't had any problems before now.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:27 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Stock cart with stock tires will run between 18-20mph before it hits the rev limiter. Condition of the clutches and belt will make a big difference here.

With a lift and larger tires it will obviously go faster. My carryall had 25” tires and it would run 25-26mph without hitting the rev limiter.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 02:53 PM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Stock cart with stock tires will run between 18-20mph before it hits the rev limiter. Condition of the clutches and belt will make a big difference here.

With a lift and larger tires it will obviously go faster. My carryall had 25” tires and it would run 25-26mph without hitting the rev limiter.

I have never experienced this on either of my carts. I tested the cart again with 23" tires. with rev limiter and zip tie I was only getting 16-17 mph and rev limiter immediately kicks in. Disconnect rev limiter and I can run 21 no problem (I can get up to 24 if i adjust the zip tie but it sounds like the motor is going to rattle apart ) Doesn't matter if cart is cold or at running temp, limiter acts the same.

My stock cart runs 15??? tops with zip tie in same position as the lifted cart. stock wheels. what exactly is the procedure for getting 20 mph out of it? I'm certain when I tightened the zip tie on the stock cart it hit the rev limiter too
Old 03-09-2023, 07:20 PM   #10
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You missed a very important part of his statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

Too loose of a belt with brand new clutches will cause it too start in a higher ratio, and also not be able to get to the highest ratio possible. Also, if either clutch has some wear issues, or possibly springs tuned for starting torque instead of top speed, this may limit the highest ratio needed for the speed.
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car