lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2023, 11:33 AM   #1
chetscc
Not Yet Wild

Default Lead Acid to Lithium

My first post, so I hope it is the correct location and in the correct format.
  • Current Setup
    2020 Tracker EVIS – 4-wheel drive with Dual Motors, one in front and one in back
    72V with 6 - 12V Trojan Motive Batteries - 150 AH Flooded Batteries
    Charger - Delta-q QUIQ 1500
  • Contemplating Going to Lithium.
  • Reasons for Change
    Less maintenance
    Maybe longer runtimes
    Faster Charging
  • Questions/Help
    1. We have 72V components already, so can we just buy some batteries and a new charger?
    2. If we buy 100AH batteries will this give us more capacity than the 150AH lead acid batteries? I read somewhere you can only use about half of a lead acid batteries full amp-hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-02-01 113015.jpg (143.3 KB, 0 views)
chetscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2023, 04:00 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lead Acid to Lithium

1. Buy one 72v battery, not “some” 12v batteries in series. You will need a new charger.

2. Yes, 100Ah lithium will give you greater range than 150Ah FLA.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
chetscc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I would never have thought it would be that easy.
chetscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 12:23 PM   #4
Ziggymon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I converted my Tracker EV is to lithium. My goal was a 60 mile range. In order to accomplish that I knew I needed a minimum of 250 AH set up. I couldn't find a drop in with that many AH's without modifying the battery compartment and taking out the extra 2 frame supports. I didn't want to do that so I ended up going with 24 EVE class A 280AH prismatic batteries and a Daley 500A controller. This way, I was able to slide the batteries in 8 at a time just in the middle section. You just need to be sure all your batteries are secured with filament strapping tape and double sided foam tape in between each cell. I also fabricated a box with a lid to strap the battery pack in place. The install wasn't too bad, but you really should have a Curtis programmer to monitor faults and possibly tweak the regen, accel and speed settings in the controller. It took as lot of trial and error runs to get everything working properly, but I am super happy with the results. Much faster acceleration and a 65 mile range. I have to say, this upgrade is NOT for the novice. I have a background in mechanical engineering and it was definitely a challenge and had it's frustrating moments.
Ziggymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:32 PM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

72v, 280Ah….that’s a big battery!
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium