lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2023, 03:26 PM   #1
Cole797
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Robin Engine Timing Off

I have a 2007 EZGO with a MCI 295 Robins. Had the motor rebuilt a few months ago. But it would never seem to run correctly after. When starting the cart up cold it would take longer than I expected to start and when it did start it would putter around for a good 250-300ft until actually taking off like it never had any power.
Tried 2 new carbs (both OEM), fuel pump (OEM), clutches (OEM), swapping a rear end with another good cart of mine, accel & throttle cable, and battery. Spark is good from both plugs and battery voltage is 14.6v. Also tried adjusting the carb and cables every which way and it would be better for a day but go right back the next day after the engine cooled down again.

So we opened the engine up today and noticed the timing belt was off by a half notch-notch. Would it being off just a little bit like that affect this engine like it is?
Cole797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2023, 05:41 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Robin Engine Timing Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole797 View Post
I have a 2007 EZGO with a MCI 295 Robins. Had the motor rebuilt a few months ago. But it would never seem to run correctly after. When starting the cart up cold it would take longer than I expected to start and when it did start it would putter around for a good 250-300ft until actually taking off like it never had any power.
Tried 2 new carbs (both OEM), fuel pump (OEM), clutches (OEM), swapping a rear end with another good cart of mine, accel & throttle cable, and battery. Spark is good from both plugs and battery voltage is 14.6v. Also tried adjusting the carb and cables every which way and it would be better for a day but go right back the next day after the engine cooled down again.

So we opened the engine up today and noticed the timing belt was off by a half notch-notch. Would it being off just a little bit like that affect this engine like it is?
Show us a picture of the timing marks.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
Cole797
Not Yet Wild

Here is a picture of the bottom mark when the top is aligned
Old 01-21-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
Cole797
Not Yet Wild

Here is the bottom mark being aligned but, the top notch is off when it is
Old 01-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I think the pictures fell off my screen as I can't see them?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:25 PM   #6
Cole797
Not Yet Wild

Here is a picture when the bottom notch is aligned
key switch alligned.jpg
Old 01-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #7
Cole797
Not Yet Wild

Here is picture when the bottom mark is not aligned, but the top is.
key switch not alligned.jpg
Old 01-21-2023, 01:31 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Its hard for me to tell. Here is mine that I have on my workbench. Its in time. If you think yours is out then check crank key good and also camshaft gear to make sure the camshaft dial pin area is good. You have to remove the bolt in cam gear to see .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timing ezgo.jpg (86.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ezgo more timing.jpg (178.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-21-2023, 08:14 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole797 View Post
I Also tried adjusting the carb and cables every which way and it would be better for a day but go right back the next day after the engine cooled down again.
?
If the engine is out of time it wouldn’t be “better” by adjusting the carb or cables.

Try this. Slowly depress the gas pedal. Does the starter/gen engage and start spinning the engine before the carb butterfly begins to move? If so how much further do you have to press the pedal before the carb starts to open?

Also if you remove the airbox with key off and depress the pedal, can you verify the carb opens all the way? It’s easy to route that carb cable incorrectly (and relatively difficult to route it correctly between the starter/gen and the engine) so that it runs straight up through that stupid pain in the butt square clip. If the cable binds going into that clip from the cable being routed funny it will cause problems.

I can’t see the cam gear but I don’t think your timing belt is an issue. If it’s a half tooth off, it’s not off. A full tooth off would be easy to spot, but it wouldn’t clear up after a few hundred feet.

Why was the engine rebuilt to begin with? Did you buy the cart like this? Did it smoke but run okay? Knock? Something else?

And again are you 100% positive it is an OEM carb?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:49 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If the engine is out of time it wouldn’t be “better” by adjusting the carb or cables.

Try this. Slowly depress the gas pedal. Does the starter/gen engage and start spinning the engine before the carb butterfly begins to move? If so how much further do you have to press the pedal before the carb starts to open?

Also if you remove the airbox with key off and depress the pedal, can you verify the carb opens all the way? It’s easy to route that carb cable incorrectly (and relatively difficult to route it correctly between the starter/gen and the engine) so that it runs straight up through that stupid pain in the butt square clip. If the cable binds going into that clip from the cable being routed funny it will cause problems.

I can’t see the cam gear but I don’t think your timing belt is an issue. If it’s a half tooth off, it’s not off. A full tooth off would be easy to spot, but it wouldn’t clear up after a few hundred feet.

Why was the engine rebuilt to begin with? Did you buy the cart like this? Did it smoke but run okay? Knock? Something else?

And again are you 100% positive it is an OEM carb?
+1 I don't think the timing is off either but was just showing him what to check. The MCI engine should start much better than the Pre-MCI. When the outside temperature is above 60 you don't have to pull the choke.
I love the way that engine oils
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO