lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2023, 04:53 AM   #51
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Budget 90ah 48v lifepo4 battery build (under a grand)

Good idea, and far cheaper than killing a Leaf module if things go haywire.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2023, 07:08 AM   #52
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

if I were going to build another pack tomorrow I might try using 4 of these for a larger pack. https://batteryhookup.com/products/2...enclosure-fans

They also have the 24ah pack for $99 ..a person could build a 48v 96ah pack with 2 bms for around $700
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:30 AM   #53
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Those could be a good deal for a Budget pack. Good used cells are not that easy to find as they are in high demand.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:41 AM   #54
Bdub24
Not Yet Wild

I have studied this thread over and over and now diving into YouTube videos... I have virtually no training or knowledge of electricity... but I have a used cart that I bought for cheap as well...I have enjoyed creating/modifying/improving everything on it from welding frame reinforcements to a custom suspension design. 2 years ago I installed 2 chevy volt battery sections in parallel ~48v 100 amp hrs and followed step by step instructions to get the job done but I forgot to set my controller to cut off at low voltage...my kids ran it dead and now my favorite projects can only go 5 miles... so I'm back at the drawing board and am ready to pull the trigger on some batteries but don't want a drop in b/c nothing on this cart is drop in and I simply can't afford it.

All that being said would you still say go with the bigger packs or the batters you went with?...also any other changes you would recommend to simplify the unit for a beginner builder?
Bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:17 AM   #55
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub24 View Post
I have studied this thread over and over and now diving into YouTube videos... I have virtually no training or knowledge of electricity... but I have a used cart that I bought for cheap as well...I have enjoyed creating/modifying/improving everything on it from welding frame reinforcements to a custom suspension design. 2 years ago I installed 2 chevy volt battery sections in parallel ~48v 100 amp hrs and followed step by step instructions to get the job done but I forgot to set my controller to cut off at low voltage...my kids ran it dead and now my favorite projects can only go 5 miles... so I'm back at the drawing board and am ready to pull the trigger on some batteries but don't want a drop in b/c nothing on this cart is drop in and I simply can't afford it.

All that being said would you still say go with the bigger packs or the batters you went with?...also any other changes you would recommend to simplify the unit for a beginner builder?
I do not yet have my battery in my cart, I am still building/modifying thing on mine and it's been in the 20s here.. I am heading up to Canada for training on a new product at work for a couple weeks so realistically I may not have my pack in use till March. I prefer the 16 cell prismatic lifepo4 so far though as I've used them I n my rv solar battery pack with good results and the lifepo4 chemistry is a bit safer IMO.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:45 AM   #56
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub24 View Post

I highlight 2 of the above comments. I think Chevy Volt batteries are similar to Nissan Leaf and both are Lith-Ion.

If your pack has a cell that dropped below the minimum charge....and from your statement of "only going 5 miles" I would suggest that you no longer charge or use these batteries, and dispose of them ASAP. Replace them with a set that can do what you want....along with a good Battery Management System.

Thermal runaway during a charge can cause catastrophic damage via a fire that won't go out. If your charging inside your home the results could be devastating and loss of property and perhaps life could result.

Not worth it IMHO.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #57
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I highlight 2 of the above comments. I think Chevy Volt batteries are similar to Nissan Leaf and both are Lith-Ion.

If your pack has a cell that dropped below the minimum charge....and from your statement of "only going 5 miles" I would suggest that you no longer charge or use these batteries, and dispose of them ASAP. Replace them with a set that can do what you want....along with a good Battery Management System.

Thermal runaway during a charge can cause catastrophic damage via a fire that won't go out. If your charging inside your home the results could be devastating and loss of property and perhaps life could result.

Not worth it IMHO.
I believe we all discussed this in another thread already which is why he's looking for a replacement.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:06 PM   #58
Bdub24
Not Yet Wild

Thanks...it has been brought to my attention...I have a battery management system in place but without a low voltage cutoff... none of the batteries swelled or changed in shape...and I only charge outdoors under my observation...do you think it is still unsafe to store these batteries in my cart in my garage when not charging?
Bdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:19 PM   #59
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I absolutely would not mess with any Lithium batteries that have been over discharged! Too big a risk and it's just not worth it. Junk them and get replacements.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #60
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I believe we all discussed this in another thread already which is why he's looking for a replacement.
I think that was a different member. Those were Leaf cells and were over discharged because the cart was out of service for an extended period. Either way, same point applies. Stop using the pack immediately to eliminate a risk of fire.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium