lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default TC Elcon charger cutting off before full charge

My charger or BMS have been acting up lately. The charger is cutting off intermittently. Once it cut off shortly after plugging it in (within 30 seconds), then it turned itself back on less than a minute later. Another time it wouldn't come on at all when plugging it in. Just now, I got it to come on when plugging it in and it rand for roughly 10 minutes before cutting off. Each time it cuts off, the monitor shows that the pack is charging. Meaning, blue line at the top says "EVMS: charging" However, there is no current and you can hear that the charger is not on.

Is there a way to test the charger or is that as simple as a bad charger? Or possibly the BMS is bad?

Any recommendations on another charger I could get that would run with my CAN BUS ZEVA EVMS3?

I appreciate any help on this. Thanks
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
somfas
Gone Wild

Default Re: TC Elcon charger cutting off before full charge

Just a follow up for search results. I obviously never got any tips on this. I cut power to the BMS for a while and then reconnected. So far, its been working. Nervous about the long term working but it is at least working for now. Also, I reached out to Ian but he never replied. I also reached out to where I bought the TC Elcon charger and they never responded.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I'm currently in the "middle" of an issue with my ZEVA touch screen....that started with a charging issue of my ElCon charger.

You may get some help (mebby not but mebby so) if you contact this outfit in California. They re-programed my ElCon charger for CanBus.

www.elconchargers.com www.zivanusa.com

EDIT:

As a followup...here's the email I sent to them, and the response I received. I hope this helps in some fashion:

What I sent
Gentlemen,

Back in 2018 I had you reconfigure my Elcon 1800W charger. I originally purchased this from a dealer in China (not know that it was from China at the time) and they sent me the wrong unit.

So, after you did the conversion I connected the charger to my ZEVA BMS to charge my Lithium-Ion (Nissan Leaf Modules) and set the pack voltage to 57V. My BMS will not provide settings for anything other than full voltage.

The initial charging, and every charging after that would bring the pack voltage to 57.3. This did not overcharge any one battery cell.

However, last month the charger began to creep the pack charge up to 57.5V. So, I entered my BMS “Settings” to change the pack charge to 56V, and the BMS accepted the change. Then, at the very next attempt to inter the Settings on the BMS LCD screen, the touch screen went “wonky” and would not accept my pushing the correct setting buttons.

So, now the pack is set to charge at 56V, and the charger must be unplugged when it reaches the 56.5V. The charger appears to be “winding down” as the pack voltage reaches the 56.5V, but I do not trust that the charger will stop charging. BTW, I do have relays in place to cut the charger off should any cells voltage reach a given number.

So, my question is do you think this is a faulty charger…or has something in the code gone awry?

Thanks much

Their response:
David,

How many Nissan Leaf modules do you have? The maximum charging voltage for these modules is 8.4V (two 4.2V cells in series and two in parallel). If you need 57V and the charger is going to 56.5V then there is no problem. You can let it go to 57V and see if it stops. You will need to monitor the CAN messages being sent by your BMS to see what voltage it is asking for. It may not be the charger but a defective BMS. Once you get the BMS repaired or replaced then you can see if it is the charger.

Regards,

(out of office Nov 24 to Dec 5)
ELCON / Electric Conversions
515 N. 10th Street, Sacramento, CA 95811
www.elconchargers.com www.zivanusa.com
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks Dave. I am following up on this since I am having issues again. I don't know if its a charger issue or BMS issue. But, the charger isn't charging when the monitor is stating that it is charging.

What are options for a new BMS if we have to go that route? I built mine following your guide. I have Nissan Leaf modules, EVMS stuff, and the Elcon charger.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:35 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by somfas View Post
Thanks Dave. I am following up on this since I am having issues again. I don't know if its a charger issue or BMS issue. But, the charger isn't charging when the monitor is stating that it is charging.

What are options for a new BMS if we have to go that route? I built mine following your guide. I have Nissan Leaf modules, EVMS stuff, and the Elcon charger.
Fortunately, for me, I didn't have to look to get a new BMS system. My touch screen went bad and I found a replacement so all is good again.

I know back when I built mine the name "Chargery" was used by several.

However, before you "go down that road" I would double check all of your BMS and charging wiring. I'd un-screw and check the power supply to the BMS, along with the HV wiring in the BMS.

I say to check your wiring connections as I've had a few come "undone" on my system. Some because of my poor crimp, and some because of just getting bounced around from the terrain I go on. (For those I crimped and soldered)

And I didn't see if you stated your charger is CANBUS or if it's "fixed" to where you cannot change the voltage settings.

But, if your looking to go with a new BMS, I'd start a separate thread and ask what is a good system to go with. I'd also ask for a system where the main current does not "flow through" the BMS itself. (Like the ZEVA)

Then again perhaps our "engineer" background guys will chime in to provide some ideas of how or where to look to see if it's your charger, or the BMS.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:10 PM   #6
somfas
Gone Wild

Just an update on this one. The clip that holds the CAN bus is broken on my charger and up until now had been working fine. However, that is the issue now - the clip is not held on tight. So, everything working fine, just a loose connection like mentioned above. Thanks for the comments above!
Old 01-23-2023, 06:55 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Glad you got it figure out!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO