lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #11
WCRiot
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Attempting to convert CFMoto gas UTV to electric.

Here is a picture of the actual setup mocked up.
The coupling shaft current uses the Bevel gear that was used inside the engine. I am planning to cut or machine that off, i might turn that into the adapter that would hold the sprocket to the driveshaft.

I 3D printed a support bearing to assist with mockup. And i was testing my printer setup to see how well it would run for 20hrs straight.

I'm comparing to specs of this particular Hunt VE. Except i don't plan to run dual, direct drive motors.
https://www.huntve.com/huntve-game-c...c-side-by-side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7813.jpg (288.7 KB, 0 views)
WCRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2022, 04:05 PM   #12
WCRiot
Not Yet Wild

I stumbled upon this ATC EV Conversion kit on ebay. I don't think i would trust it. But it looks interesting. Maybe a little expensive though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362780630109
Old 12-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #13
WCRiot
Not Yet Wild

I spoke to Scotty at Carts Unlimited. I am going to follow his advice and see how this goes.
I ordered his C64U kit and other supporting parts. Which is a universal kit capable of 600Amps. I also ordered a 10Hp Admiral A1 SERIES motor. Scotty thought i really would need a series motor because of the better torque properties. My Cart is heavy and running larger tires than what golf carts run!

I will post pictures of the driveshaft setup with sprocket. Then document the rest of the build and layout once the motor comes in.
I still have alot of fabrication work to do. But it's all pretty easy stuff.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:22 AM   #14
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRiot View Post
What gear ratio do most of you use? I need to go 30-40mph, and move an 800lbs (without batteries and other electric drivetrain parts) buggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRiot View Post
So i need to decide on gear ratio. then electric motor/controller combo. Tires are 24inch. Gear ratio of differentials is 4:1 with these tires. So the gear ratio at the motor probably needs to be close to 10:1

It sounds like most golf carts are running around 15:1
Hi WCRiot,

It sounds like you have an interesting project going on.

I have a fairly heavy Cushman work cart (1620 lb operating weight / 1200 lb capacity) which is rear wheel drive (other cart specs are in my footer below). As a comparison, the gear ratio on my cart is 15.875 to 1 and is certainly geared for higher torque. My GPS measured maximum speed on a level section of gravel road is 17.4 mph on 23" tires (72" tire circumference measurement). At a 17.4 mph maximum speed, my motor would be rotating at 4050 RPM.

I mention the above Cushman specs since your original requirements stated that you "need to go 30-40mph" which is about twice as fast as my maximum speed. To get that speed, you will have to have a gear ratio that will support that speed, as well as a motor that will provide enough torque to meet the physical requirement of your cart. From what I read on BGW, an upper speed limit of up to 25 mph is achievable on most carts, but going above 25 mph is going to need better braking, suspension, steering and tires... plus the obvious improvements to the battery and motor. The MOT A1 motor you have ordered is rated for a 22 mph maximum, so perhaps you have reduced your maximum speed requirements or you may need to shop for a higher speed motor.

When talking about gear ratios, you mention the motor to driveshaft of 10:1 and the differential (driveshaft to axle) at 4:1 ... which will result in a 40:1 ratio from the motor to the axle. To achieve a motor to axle ration of 15:1, with your 4:1 differential, your motor to driveshaft ration will need to be 3.75:1 (i.e. 15 divided by 4).

Are you planning to have the cart operating on full time four wheel drive? If so, you may want to confirm that you will have sufficient motor torque available. I understand that full time 4WD carts use considerable more power and your battery, solenoids, controller, motor and etc. will need to be sized appropriately. You may have researched this already, but understanding how other existing electric 4WD carts are powered may help you "right size" your components in advance.

Good luck with your build ... I look forward to following your thread.

Regards, 3CW
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:53 AM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

This is an interesting build. With you wanting 4WD I would think torque is more important than speed? You’re looking at a 72V system is (I think) a good way to go.

Just tossing this out….but have you considered the possibility of (and I don’t know the how/what) of a way to switch out/in the 4WD? If possible that would “save” you power until you need the 4WD.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #16
WCRiot
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
This is an interesting build. With you wanting 4WD I would think torque is more important than speed? You’re looking at a 72V system is (I think) a good way to go.

Just tossing this out….but have you considered the possibility of (and I don’t know the how/what) of a way to switch out/in the 4WD? If possible that would “save” you power until you need the 4WD.
Dave
I decided to go with 48V.
I have a 16:1 gear ratio and 24inch tires
Because i am using gears from an ATV i can always change the ratio if i am not happy.

The CFmoto has an electric switch to go from 2wd to 4wd. I am retaining this features so that i can stay in 2wd while on the streets. I think it use its an electric clutch or something. So the front driveshaft always turns, but the diff is set to open when in 2wd mode.
Not entirely sure. I will find out soon :D
Old 05-05-2023, 05:53 PM   #17
WCRiot
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for disappearing. The weather was cold and my work schedule got insanely busy. Things are settling down so i work on the cart here and there. I bought everything from Scotty and have wired it up. The only thing i haven't wired is the voltage reducer to power the accessories.
I am considering to ditch the original relay/fuse block and start from scratch rather than trying to figure out what is what.
But here are a few updates

I had to modify the engine gear shaft more. I also modify one of the spur gears i purchased to fit onto my modified engine shaft. Perfect fit, just needs welding.

I ordered some steel remnant plate to build the motor mount or motor carry.
Here is sort of the design i am thinking of welding up. The black parts are 3D printed ABS motor supports

Once this is done I will go back to Scotty to buy the battery.
I have some little issues to sort out with the cart itself. There is a brake fluid leak coming from somewhere. I think it's the master cylinder. Rear brakes aren't working. I tried bleeding them but nothing. Might be the MC or maybe a clog in the lines.

I plan to disconnect the rear line set then bleed the brakes again to see what's at fault.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!