lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: UPDATE to: Need help understanding tapered shaft adapter

Another option for charging is a Kubota style alternator, very small also, I think they are 14 amp, which will keep a battery charged and run headlights, that's about it though. If you need more power, go with the Denso.

https://www.amazon.com/Alternator-B2...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2022, 11:09 PM   #12
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Another option for charging is a Kubota style alternator, very small also, I think they are 14 amp, which will keep a battery charged and run headlights, that's about it though. If you need more power, go with the Denso.

I'll check that out also. The only thing I will ever be running is headlights and tails lights. The tail lights will be LED. I don't think the headlights are LED though.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:31 PM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:

With this one you need to add a rectifier/voltage regulator. The tip off is when you see 2 identical wire coming out of the unit it is AC output.Both of those wires go to the rectifier/ regulator without regard for polarity since it is AC current.This show a lot on sled,tractor and HD conversion alternators. In Shepard's sticky on 18 amp clone alternators he list both the kohler and cheap HD type unit. The Kohler is on my sled powered HD cart and the HD unit is on my Ironhead chopper with an alternator conversion.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:11 PM   #14
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
With this one you need to add a rectifier/voltage regulator. The tip off is when you see 2 identical wire coming out of the unit it is AC output.Both of those wires go to the rectifier/ regulator without regard for polarity since it is AC current.This show a lot on sled,tractor and HD conversion alternators. In Shepard's sticky on 18 amp clone alternators he list both the kohler and cheap HD type unit. The Kohler is on my sled powered HD cart and the HD unit is on my Ironhead chopper with an alternator conversion.
Thanks for the info. The 1 wire Denso mini looks like the best option for me.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #15
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I have added a "mini" alternator. It is not the Denso but it appears identical. It only has a 35 Amp output but I think that's okay because I will only be running lights (and probably will never drive ay night ).

This is the unit I purchased on amazon (I'm on a budget): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S6O5URK...roduct_details

It fit right in as if it was designed for my buggy. Now, I have a question. I am reading 14.7 volts at the battery when running. Is that too high?

Thanks.

PS: Thanks for answering my questions and helping me with this project. I'm not even sure I'm on the correct Forum. If not, I apologize.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:10 AM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is about perfect. It is a Denso type for sure. 35 amps is plenty for a cart
Old 08-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #17
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
That is about perfect. It is a Denso type for sure. 35 amps is plenty for a cart
Thanks for the reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternator 2.jpg (169.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-15-2022, 06:04 AM   #18
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Nice job. That looks factory installed
Old 08-19-2022, 01:34 PM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

14.5-14.6 vdc is good, is that at low rpm or high? Typically alternators regulate to just below 15 volts. Hopefully the rpm doesn't climb any higher or it will cook your battery.

How are you keeping tension on the belt? If you are relying on the single bottom mounting bolt, it might eventually loosen up. Usually I put a support rod from the engine to the top alternator bolt, using a turn buckle type fastener and threaded rod. Also it looks like the alternator is upside down, the larger thicker bolt boss is typically the main mount. If it were me I'd flip it around and use a top support that can adjust the belt tension.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:56 PM   #20
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
14.5-14.6 vdc is good, is that at low rpm or high? Typically alternators regulate to just below 15 volts. Hopefully the rpm doesn't climb any higher or it will cook your battery.

How are you keeping tension on the belt? If you are relying on the single bottom mounting bolt, it might eventually loosen up. Usually I put a support rod from the engine to the top alternator bolt, using a turn buckle type fastener and threaded rod. Also it looks like the alternator is upside down, the larger thicker bolt boss is typically the main mount. If it were me I'd flip it around and use a top support that can adjust the belt tension.
Since that photo was taken I have fabricated a bracket that is bolted to the top mounting hole and the bolted to the cart frame. But I have no adjustment. I like your turn buckle idea. I'll redesign it and incorporate a turn buckle and I will rotate the alternator as you suggest.

The 14.7v is at high RPM.

Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps