lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2024, 10:58 AM   #1
tyrone shoelaces
Getting Wild

Default Navitas 72volt review

I would like to build a 72v HP street cart with the Navitas system
I've had two GC guys try to steer me away from 72 and stick with 48v
Of course, they don't own a 72v and they have 48's for sale.
any opinions are welcome.
Thank You
tyrone shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2024, 02:08 PM   #2
derelicte
Gone Wild

Default Re: Navitas 72volt review

I'm not sure what 72v really buys you. I've had a 72v gem and a 48v aev. both had the same top speed (~32). the 48v aev will accelerate quicker, but that probably has more to due with tuning and the lower weight of the 48v life battery.

the only thing 72v has more of is batteries, and I see that as a downside.

am I missing something?
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:54 PM   #3
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

From my understanding, the Navitas 72 volt system will draw less amperage than 48 volts so if you're drawing fewer amps you should get more mileage or runtime. 72 volts will also increase speed and torque (like you need any more). There has also a long standing debate that 72 volts will not increase the speed on an AC motor. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:35 PM   #4
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Won't increase speed on an AC motor system, as the controller is an AC inverter. It takes DC from the battery and converts to 3 phase AC.

While it's true high voltage will pull less amps, the rating in power (kilowatts) is the same. So if the battery is 72v or 48v, you need to compare it's capacity in kilowatt-hour.

Recharging could be faster, but that depends on what charger you have, and you will still be limited by your AC wall plug. Most chargers won't pull more than 12 amps at 120v AC, this is level 1 charging. And the larger golf specific chargers are even less, like 8 amps, 960 watts.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:34 AM   #5
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

As I stated before, there is a long standing debate on whether 72 volts will increase the speed of a Navitas setup. I reprinted this information from the Navitas Facebook page for the benefit of anyone interested.

J. Todd Dussault
Navitas Technician
Top Contributor
On average 48v carts reach 33-35 mph, 72v run in excess of 40mph

Now if you question this any further I suggest you contact J. Todd Dussault at Navitas. It seems that they have a little different AC system.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:41 AM   #6
derelicte
Gone Wild

I can't imagine how scary it would be to drive one of these lifted carts at 40+ mph. Even 32 is dicey.
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:44 AM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Agreed. You better make sure all your suspension and steering components are perfectly tight and adjusted properly. And I think a lift would make it more dangerous by raising the center of gravity..
Old 02-03-2024, 12:35 PM   #8
Bazerk
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
I can't imagine how scary it would be to drive one of these lifted carts at 40+ mph. Even 32 is dicey.
I do 45+ on mine daily with no issues and no fear. Max Ive gotten it to on GPS was 48.1. Im running 72v as well. That said, I can tell you that I have friends that switched to lithium but stayed at 48v and I switch to 72v in my cart. We have the same cart so the only difference is the voltage and mine is definitely faster than theirs. Not sure if this helps.
Bazerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:13 PM   #9
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Seat belts and front disc brakes at least, need I say more?
Old 02-04-2024, 04:01 AM   #10
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCartBoy View Post
Won't increase speed on an AC motor system, as the controller is an AC inverter. It takes DC from the battery and converts to 3 phase AC.
100% true for a “normal” AC drive system but I believe that the Navitas does in fact increase its speed when run from 72v. It goes from a maximum of 7000 rpm @ 48v to 9000 rpm @ 72v. That would reinforce what Lenny saw on the Navitas FB page. I have no personal experience with this, it’s only what I’ve recently read/been told.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon