lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Default DIY Powder Coating

Thinking about buying a powder coat kit.
I can get a kitchen oven free.
Have 220 outlet outside my shop for welding, I could hook oven to that, so I don't have to worry about fumes.
Looking for feedback from people that have done this themselves.
Are you happy with results?
Do you think it is a good as commercial powder coating?
How has it held up?
I am looking at higher quality coatings, not Harbor Freight stuff, but would like all feedback.
Thanks, Muddog
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DIY Powder Coating

Muddog, my friends and I have done it. We Took a heating element out of an electric oven and installed in a metal stand up cabinet with the shelves removed and insulation on the outside. Much easier to hang the parts to bake them.

It’s fairly easy really. My only real tip is after you sandblast parts to get them down to bare metal, make sure you wipe down with alcohol to remove and surface dust or oily fingerprints before spraying the powder on. We always used rubbing alcohol since it dries so fast. Otherwise it’s straight forward. Oh and we never applied powder over regular paint, only powder over powder, and we found high temp rubber plugs to put in threaded holes. If you get powder in threaded holes you’ll be running a tap through them later. High temp tape works too but the plugs were easier. I guess same goes for any hole where tolerances matter, I.e. bushing holes in a-arms. We primarily used Eastwood powder, but I’m sure there are more good companies out there now, I haven’t messed with it since about 2005.

Watch out though, you’ll literally start powder coating just about everything you own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

When Eastwood came out with a powder coating system back about 2000, I picked one up. I also picked up a wall oven and began doing the suspension parts on my 55 Chevrolet. It works great. Once the coating is baked on, its on. Paint stripper won't touch it. The only way to get it off is sand blasting and that is not easy. As with anything else prep is the key. I sandblasted the parts, wiped them down with solvent prior to spraying and baking. There is a learning curve but you'll figure out the ins and outs pretty quick.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

I think I'm going to give it a shot.
I don't have a blaster but,a friend does blasting, going to see what he charges.
I was at a sale a few weeks ago and could have picked up a nice blast cabinet for $35.
Started to buy it though I had no need for it at the time, talked myself out of it.
Now I see a blast cabinet in my future.
One of the first things I would like to coat is my wrenches. I could color code by size.
Can I coat over chrome?
Can i coat, cure and stencil size with coat and re cure?

Thanks,Muddog
Old 01-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Coat over chrome, yup

Coat, stencil another layer, yup.

The candy powders usually are used over a base color. Putting powder over powder is fine.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Good deal at Eastwood, right now.
$ 20 off gun ,free shipping.
https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-pow...iy-system.html
Cheaper than Harbor Fright.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddog View Post
Good deal at Eastwood, right now.
$ 20 off gun ,free shipping.
https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-pow...iy-system.html
Cheaper than Harbor Fright.

Better than HF too

Old 02-25-2018, 02:30 AM   #8
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

WOW,WOW, this is a whole different thing than mass produced powder coated goods.
You can put a much better powder coat finish than what you can buy. The coating is thicker and harder.
Found a listing on craiglist for a new in box harbor fright powder coat gun and 1 lb of Eastwood clear coat for $50. I meet the guy ,we're talking, I'm trying to beat him down to $40, telling him I still need to buy a blast cabinet and oven. He points to the other end of his shop at a blast cabinet. It's also new. I gave him $150 for new powder coat gun, blast cabinet and 250lbs of sand blast stuff. Found a free oven on facepage marketplace.
I have only done a few small metal pieces, so far with the Eastwood clear coat. I am amazed at the finish. The first piece I did,I let sit on the oven rack and it left grooves in the finish. No big deal, I'd sandblast it off, that didn't happen at 140PSI I couldn't sandblast this stuff off. This is the hardest, most durable finish you can put on metal for the cost.
I'm shade tree, I restore car carts in my yard. But I do it different, I build high end restores. 2 of my builds are in a major league baseball park.
Being on the coast, rust is a big problem, I use all stainless hardware on carts ,but never been happy with anything I've put on the steel front end or axle housings. Salt water penetrates everything I've tried, but it's not going to get thru a good quality powder coat.
I wish I had known about this a long time ago.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Doing the front end:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0703.JPG (915.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0704.JPG (651.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0705.JPG (839.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center