lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
Stripes136
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Precedent brake light pad install question

Hey guys – I recently bought a brake pad for my Club Car Precedent. The light kit I have has the bullet connectors in the floor however I am getting no response. How can I go about testing the pedal and testing the wires. I have a turn signal kit plugged into the nine pin connector in the dash. Both turn signals work and the headlights work just fine.

Any suggestions would be great – thanks!
Stripes136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Stripes136
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default re: Precedent brake light pad install question

Does anyone have an idea on how to test this?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default re: Precedent brake light pad install question

TahoeDawgZ71, or Sergio should easily be able to answer your question!
be patient, they're busy men! hopefully they'll be along soon!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent brake light pad install question

Title changed (again) to get attention!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Thanks Don,

Stripes136,

There is no power coming into the pressure pad switch unless there is a relay behind the dash. Precedents use a "brake light relay" that turns on and off with the key switch. When the key switch is on, the brake lights will work. When the key is off, they won't. If you don't have the relay, or the relay has failed, then the brake lights will not work. A simple test would be to un-plug the two wires from the brake light switch and hook them together. I'm referring to the two wires with bullet connectors on them that come out of the vehicle wire harness into the pedal compartment under the floor. Hook them together and turn on the key. The brake lights should turn on. Let me know what you find. Note that the Tow/Run switch must be in the RUN position for the relay to get necessary power to make it work. Relay won't work when in TOW.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Let me add my opinion here, I think the only reason Club Car uses a relay in this circuit is because some of their +12v OEM solutions are always ON (Ie: 12v battery or 16v->12v Reducer).

If Your DC converter is only providing power when the Key Switch is ON, that relay is redundant.

The relay is connected to the 4 quick connectors near the 9-pin Turn signal connector in the dash harness.

You can either add a Relay, or just jump the 2 wires marked as 12v+, Green/White and Solid Blue together.

Just for others reference, those Brake Pad pressure switches can only directly power LED lights, if You have incandescent brake lights, the switch needs to activate a Relay and the Relay contacts then power the brake lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Precedent_Brake_Relay.JPG (101.9 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
\

Just for others reference, those Brake Pad pressure switches can only directly power LED lights, if You have incandescent brake lights, the switch needs to activate a Relay and the Relay contacts then power the brake lights.
that's good info right there
Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Stripes136
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you very much for the information. You guys are always such a huge help. I do have a converter that powers all my accessories including the headlights. My lights are incandescent. Sergio, correct me if I'm wrong but I would have to use this relay?

FTI - I tested the current relay and it is not opening or closing when I put 48v to it.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Let's brake this down into two separate issues.

1) The Relay in the photo I posted (behind the dash board by the 9-pin connector):

This is the Relay You do not need need if Your 12v power is only available when the Key Switch is ON.

When 48v is applied to the 2 small quick connectors (0.187") of the Relay, The 2 big quick connectors (0.250") are connected together.

If the Relay is not working, You can just connect the Solid Blue with the Green/White wires together (the wires with the 0.250" quick connectors).

That will provide power to the Pedal switch, but only when the Key Switch is ON because of Your converter.

2) The Brake Pedal Switch:

When You press the pressure switch pad, the contacts of the switch close and it sends the power to the brake lights.

Those contacts are only rated for approximately 0.5 amps, so it will not work with incandescent brake light bulbs.

You need to add a 12v relay, bosch type available from any auto parts store.

Connect it to the wires by the brake pad as follows:
Red wire (female bullet connector) from harness goes to one of the Pedal switch wires.

Red wire (female bullet connector) from harness also goes to Terminal #30 of the Relay.

Black wire (quick connector) from harness goes to Terminal #85 of the Relay.

The other wire from the Pedal Switch goes to Terminal #86 of the Relay.

Brown Wire (male bullet connector) from harness goes to Terminal #87 of the Relay.

Now when You press the pedal, the Pedal switch only uses about 0.02 amps to power the Relay coil (Terminals #85 an #86).

The Relay N.O. Contacts close (Terminals #30 and #87) and sends power to the Brake Lights.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Stripes136
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Precedent brake light pad install question

That is exactly the explanation I was looking for – thank you for putting it layman's terms 🙂– you guys are the best!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car