Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2023, 04:53 PM   #21
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 89 Columbia Restoration; Sentimental Version

Well, I got this thing running a little bit. It's burping and trying but the timing is all screwed up and I can't get it dialed in right. In an effort to save some cash, I put a points plate / points in from a Harley Davidson motorcycle that looked pretty close to Columbia's points set. I had to cut some new adjustment groves and such in it but it looks like it's too far off to make the cart run right. I have no clue what the factory settings are and am just guessing on it. Fortunately, I found a used points plate from a Harley golf cart on Ebay that should work. It should be here a couple of days and we'll give things another go.

In the meantime, the body work has begun. Primer going on. Darn primer is just about the exact same color that the cart was. No, I am not be one of those people who will stop with the "primer only" paint job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart1.jpg (74.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart2.jpg (43.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart3.jpg (84.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart4.jpg (58.9 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2023, 12:32 PM   #22
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Body work is lookin good.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:32 PM   #23
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Well, I got this thing running a little bit. It's burping and trying but the timing is all screwed up and I can't get it dialed in right. In an effort to save some cash, I put a points plate / points in from a Harley Davidson motorcycle that looked pretty close to Columbia's points set. I had to cut some new adjustment groves and such in it but it looks like it's too far off to make the cart run right. I have no clue what the factory settings are and am just guessing on it. Fortunately, I found a used points plate from a Harley golf cart on Ebay that should work. It should be here a couple of days and we'll give things another go.

In the meantime, the body work has begun. Primer going on. Darn primer is just about the exact same color that the cart was. No, I am not be one of those people who will stop with the "primer only" paint job.
The points plate from the ironhead sportster is the same and the points from 60's six cylinder chevy truck fit and are more durable.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #24
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I was able to get back into the Par Car over the last few days. The OEM points plate from EBay did the trick. After just a little bit monkeying, this cart's engine is, after many many years, running again. A note, these carts have something called an "exhaust biscuit" that seals the header to the cylinder. They look simple but actually have coiled steel in them that will give as needed during install to produce a nice seal. A good biscuit = a quiet cart. A bad biscuit = a noisy cart. I knew this ahead of time and put a new biscuit on when I reconnected the exhaust. Pay attention to the torque specs on this. Too much torque will destroy a biscuit.

A couple of pics. They battery tray was junk so I fashioned on out of scrap that I had around. It's not as pretty as I like to make things bit, when the battery is in place no one will know the difference. If you don't have a welder and you are restoring an old cart, well, good luck. The other pic is where I have the HEI positioned.

New tie rod ends are ordered. Once I get those in installed which will allow me to push to cart around. Paint time after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Holder.jpg (150.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HEI.jpg (95.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-03-2023, 07:31 AM   #25
Lochlin
Gone Wild

This cart is getting close. The hillbilly tie rod ends have been replaced. As well, the cart received it's new coat of paint. The chosen color "Jeep Driftwood" was a color that Jeep put on its Grand Cherokees in the late 89s to early 90s. For whatever reason, my mom decided to have the cart painted this color right after she purchased it. It took awhile but my paint supplier was able to find Jeep Driftwood in a old car color manual that he had. He had no problem mixing it up. It's different but it looks great.

New seats are in and have been fitted as well. I just won't be able to get them on permanently until I get the body back on the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tie Rod.jpg (31.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Paint 1.jpg (114.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Paint 3.jpg (59.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Paint 2.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-03-2023, 07:38 AM   #26
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
The points plate from the ironhead sportster is the same and the points from 60's six cylinder chevy truck fit and are more durable.
I used to use these same 70's straight 6 pickup points in my 82 3 wheeled harley/columbia.. I hated the points in that cart as I had them fail 3 times from sitting over the winter. I sold that cart a few years back but still have the spare rear axle from it kicking around in a shed.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:11 AM   #27
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

I had a jeep painted in driftwood. It’s a neat color.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:55 AM   #28
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have this cart just about done and this will probably be the last post about it on it. The only thing left to do is to install the arm rests on the front and back. Other than that the cart is all back together and running pretty good. The seats are actually from am 80s era Club Car. Mounting non-OEM seats isn't the easiest thing to do but, through the course of about 10 restorations, I have a process that works pretty well.

Fancy wheels have been installed. I chose "Medusa" 10 inch wheels as the Medusas have a bit of a retro look to them.

This cart is heading to the camp in a couple of weeks where it will be cruising the same roads that my folks cruised it on for miles and miles and miles. It will be fun for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cart3.jpg (114.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart2.jpg (124.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart1.jpg (125.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-19-2023, 01:02 PM   #29
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Nice job!!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 02:32 PM   #30
TommyC39
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha