lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2023, 07:36 AM   #71
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Budget 90ah 48v lifepo4 battery build (under a grand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Once the pack is balanced you should remove/turn off the active balancer.

At the risk of telling you something that you already know, make sure your bus bars/links are torqued correctly and evenly. Any difference in terminal resistances can show up as unbalanced cells, but this would be more noticeable at higher charge/discharge currents.
Thanks.
Thats what ive been doing although Ive been experimenting with things such as turning on the balancer for a bit after charging has been stopped and the cells have settled to see if that would have a better impact on the "runner",
the thing with the runner cell is when its charging in constant voltage mode it doesnt spike,(and the voltages all climb within balance) only when the higher current is going into the pack.
And as you might remember reading I put a lot of effort into making sure my buss bar connections are clean and protected from oxidation with noalox.

I was working on the cart yesterday and got the old batteries removed and the 2awg wiring in along with the 48v solenoid. I also got the rust converting primer and paint on the battery grid work. I also got my overhead console installed with the battery meter/bms interface an other wiring such as lights and radio. I hope to get this battery installed and get some actual testing on this pack to see how it really charges after being drawn down vs being topped off after the minimal draw from the bms every few days which isnt really much of a charge at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230221_181209[1].jpg (227.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230222_074014_xiaoxiang[1].jpg (64.9 KB, 0 views)
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2023, 04:30 PM   #72
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
the thing with the runner cell is when its charging in constant voltage mode it doesnt spike,(and the voltages all climb within balance) only when the higher current is going into the pack.
And as you might remember reading I put a lot of effort into making sure my buss bar connections are clean and protected from oxidation with noalox.
Not 100% conclusive but that points to a resistance issue. Make sure your bus bars a flat. Even the slightest curvature on the surface can prevent full surface contact from the bus bar to the terminal. I’ve not experienced it but there have been reports of slightly curved bars, especially aluminium ones. The fix is to sand them flat at the ends using a piece of glass and sandpaper.

If you have access to a thermal camera you can check to see if you have terminals hotter than others when pushing higher currents. This would indicate higher resistance on those terminals.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:40 AM   #73
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

So now that ive got the cart together and done a few days of testing ive found my "runner" seems to be balanced now. I did wire in a cheap $10 voltage activated relay which turns my active balancer on above 3.37v and off below that threshold. I also swapped controller again since the used altrax I bought had issues. The info on that budget upgrade can be found here https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188959

I also got my solar panel setup connected and testing and even with the winter sun at an extreme angle im pulling in over 5 amps of charging from it. overall im very happy with my build so far and I'm liking the increase from 14mph to 20mph with the 48v lithium upgrade. and I have enough room for a beer cooler or even another battery pack if I ever feel I want more.

More pics of the cart so far can be found here https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188992
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (304.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart battery.jpg (218.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart dash.jpg (131.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2023, 08:15 AM   #74
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Now just need to clean up that spaghetti under the seat! lol looking good man keep the updates coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
So now that ive got the cart together and done a few days of testing ive found my "runner" seems to be balanced now. I did wire in a cheap $10 voltage activated relay which turns my active balancer on above 3.37v and off below that threshold. I also swapped controller again since the used altrax I bought had issues. The info on that budget upgrade can be found here https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188959

I also got my solar panel setup connected and testing and even with the winter sun at an extreme angle im pulling in over 5 amps of charging from it. overall im very happy with my build so far and I'm liking the increase from 14mph to 20mph with the 48v lithium upgrade. and I have enough room for a beer cooler or even another battery pack if I ever feel I want more.

More pics of the cart so far can be found here https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=188992
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:34 AM   #75
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I like spaghetti!... yeah wiring neatness is my weakpont. I did a better job here though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180913_103113.jpg (103.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180913_103350.jpg (99.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:00 AM   #76
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What's that white stuff on the ground around your cart???? :-)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:58 AM   #77
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
He lives in the North.....where real men live!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:03 AM   #78
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Good place to be FROM. I grew up in NJ, spent 25 years in Mass, 20 in Co, and then I realized that I didn't like that white stuff and moved to Az.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:03 AM   #79
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
We have a snowpack of around 3.7' of that white stuff...its gross.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:47 AM   #80
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Why am I hearing a bud light real men of genius commercial in my ear?... lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium