lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2023, 04:43 PM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Extreme Team issues - post here

I, like many others, made the mistake of buying an Extreme Team lithium battery. Unfortunately, I bought two - one of which has an issue (again). And now they are out of business. Great.

Anyway, I am going to post my issue below, and I think it would be a good idea for others that have Extreme Team issues, to post here as well. Who knows? Maybe we will be able to come up with solutions for some of the problems. Or a really good class action lawsuit

Just in case you haven't seen it, this is what it says on their website:

December 16, 2022
Unfortunately, due to today’s economy & the state of the supply chain, we have closed our doors. Battery information is still available here on the website.
Current customers who have issues with your battery, please email us at extremeteamcarts2020@gmail.com

I emailed and got a reply. They said they would send a replacement part and I never received it. I've emailed them multiple times to follow-up and nothing but silence.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:53 PM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Extreme Team issues - post here

Hi Jon

Good idea.

From reading different members posts about their batteries, most problems can be attributed to BMS shortcomings. Fortunately, they are not too expensive to replace and most people can do it with a little guidance.

I know that having to pour more money in is not a good prospect for most, but the cells are the most expensive part of the battery, and I believe that are actually OK. Spending a couple of hundred dollars on getting the battery sorted may be your best option.

There are many members here that are experienced with lithium batteries that are willing to help. I'm sure that together we can get most issues sorted.

So what problem are you having with your second battery and is it the same issue as the first time? Also, are you able to open the battery and post some internal photos on the battery.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:58 PM   #3
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

The first ET battery I bought is a 72V/100ah. Last winter it had an issue where it shut down when it got cold (below freezing). I could connect to the BMS via Bluetooth, but the battery would not come back on. ET sent me a new BMS and that fixed the problem... for awhile.

Just recently it shut down again and it wasn't even cold. Now I cannot connect to the BMS and the battery is completely shut off. If I plug in the charger, the battery comes on (showing 86V like it's charging), but it doesn't charge, the charger does not come on, and as soon as I disconnect the charger the battery shuts off.

They were supposed to send me a new Bluetooth module to see if I could connect and discover the issue, but they never sent it.
Old 01-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

As I said, all problems I have read about can be attributed to the BMS. Are you willing to swap out the BMS for a third party one? That should fix your problems and give you full access to its configuration parameters and diagnostics for future issues that may arise.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:56 PM   #5
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

I'd be very happy if I could replace the BMS with a BMS that would actually work. I installed the replacement BMS that they sent me last year and it was simple enough. I'll try to get time this weekend to pull the battery out and open it up again and get some pics of the BMS.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:00 PM   #6
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

There is also a Facebook chat room called "Extreme Team Battery Issue Chat" that has quite a few people in it.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:17 PM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

From memory they use a Daly BMS but it might have some custom firmware locking it down. I personally don't like the Daly BMS's but they DO work and the quality IS good. My dislike for them is due to other shortcomings, certainly not because they don't work. I believe the issue is with the custom firmware. You may be able to reflash it but that function may be locked down too.

If you're limited in your electrical capability, the easiest thing for you to do is purchase another Daly BMS that isn't locked down which has the same plugs as you already have and just swapping it out. Then we can talk you through configuring the parameters for it. I would also suggest using the new temperature sensors that will come with the new BMS and retiring the ones that are currently in the pack.

You could swap out for a totally different BMS if you think you can handle it as well.

If you still have the old BMS then post close up pictures of any labelling and plugs/connections on it.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:51 PM   #8
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
From memory they use a Daly BMS but it might have some custom firmware locking it down. I personally don't like the Daly BMS's but they DO work and the quality IS good. My dislike for them is due to other shortcomings, certainly not because they don't work. I believe the issue is with the custom firmware. You may be able to reflash it but that function may be locked down too.

If you're limited in your electrical capability, the easiest thing for you to do is purchase another Daly BMS that isn't locked down which has the same plugs as you already have and just swapping it out. Then we can talk you through configuring the parameters for it. I would also suggest using the new temperature sensors that will come with the new BMS and retiring the ones that are currently in the pack.

You could swap out for a totally different BMS if you think you can handle it as well.

If you still have the old BMS then post close up pictures of any labelling and plugs/connections on it.

Cheers
Pat.
Apparently they used different BMS units. One person claimed they had an ANT BMS

I would like to see some pictures of the inside of these batteries.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:19 PM   #9
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Apparently they used different BMS units. One person claimed they had an ANT BMS

I would like to see some pictures of the inside of these batteries.
ET did use DALY and ANT BMSs. I think they started with DALYs and then used ANTs when they came out with their "high output" batteries. I created all of their instruction sheets for them (since they didn't have any), but there were so many different variations that I don't remember for sure...
Old 01-14-2023, 04:48 PM   #10
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
I created all of their instruction sheets for them (since they didn't have any), but there were so many different variations that I don't remember for sure...
You worked with them and they still hung you out to dry. What hope does the average customer have.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium