lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
boudreaux
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Bought my first cart today, 1999 Ezgo 48V

I concluded from my research before I bought, that I can put 2g wire on the batteries, to get more amps/performance.
1. Is this true?
2.How do I tell what gauge wire I have? The outside diameter of the wires presently installed is 3/8".
3. should I coat the terminals and posts (with battery grease) after I connect them or before? In other words will the grease inhibit the connection?
4. I found an old discussion about current traveling only on the outside of a wire, there fore more strands makes a better wire, there fore welding wire is better than autozone car battery wire. Than someone said that is only true for AC current, not DC, making the added expense of the welding wire a waste. Has any of this been resolved? The previous owner told me the battery cables on my cart are in fact from autozone.
5. My 6 batteries are Trojan T-875 8volt batteries. The Trojan user's guide has a section on connecting the batteries. My batteries are connected in 'series', i.e. neg of one battery to positive of the next battery. The users guide implies I can hook them either in series or parallel. Is this true? What will be the result if I do hook them in parallel?

thanks for any help. Owing this is going to be fun.
boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bought my first cart today, 1999 Ezgo 48V

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudreaux View Post
I concluded from my research before I bought, that I can put 2g wire on the batteries, to get more amps/performance.
1. Is this true?
2.How do I tell what gauge wire I have? The outside diameter of the wires presently installed is 3/8".
3. should I coat the terminals and posts (with battery grease) after I connect them or before? In other words will the grease inhibit the connection?
4. I found an old discussion about current traveling only on the outside of a wire, there fore more strands makes a better wire, there fore welding wire is better than autozone car battery wire. Than someone said that is only true for AC current, not DC, making the added expense of the welding wire a waste. Has any of this been resolved? The previous owner told me the battery cables on my cart are in fact from autozone.
5. My 6 batteries are Trojan T-875 8volt batteries. The Trojan user's guide has a section on connecting the batteries. My batteries are connected in 'series', i.e. neg of one battery to positive of the next battery. The users guide implies I can hook them either in series or parallel. Is this true? What will be the result if I do hook them in parallel?

thanks for any help. Owing this is going to be fun.
1. The cables just move the amps. If the original cables have excessive resistance, you are loosing performance due to that fact and will recover the lost performance with good cables.

2. If the 3/8" includes the jacket, you probable have 6Ga. You need 4Ga or heavier cables.

3. After.

4. What travels through the high current cables is PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) DC that is being pulsed at about 18kHz, so the skin effect does exist. The higher the strand count, the better.

Replace the Autozone car battery cables before you melt a battery post or set the cart on fire.

5. The user guide illustrates that batteries can be connected different ways for different applications. The battery packs in electric golf carts are connected in series.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
boudreaux
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you JohnnieB!!! The 3/8" does include the jacket. All the other answers are most helpful, thank you again for taking the time.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudreaux View Post
I'm the one who questioned "skin effect" and finally conceded that even though a buggy is DC, the fact that it's pulsed makes it behave somewhat AC like, at least as far as skin effect.

That's why I questioned it several times, because I didn't want someone to read an old post and walk away with the wrong answer.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wive's, husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You've got a lot of good information already
As for connecting batteries in series or parallel you can make a 'pck' either way but the results are different. When connected in Series (+ to -) the voltage is added & the amperage stays the same. When connected in parallel (+ to +) the amperage is added & the voltage stays the same.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
boudreaux
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the welcome Sir Nuke, I'll be looking for the fridge when out riding in my cart. Thanks for the clarification yurtle.

Scottyb, thanks for that answer, but that is one thing I kind of already knew; what I don't know is the effect of that. If I hook it in parallel will I still be 48 volts, with the torque the 48 volts gives? Because as I understand it, I am 48 volts because I have 6 8v batts connected in series. But I don't understand how I am 48 volts in parallel, other than there are 6 8 volt batts there. Also does more amps mean more speed and the same torque, or does my torque go down some which would make it a fast flat road cart. I will use this in hilly country for hunting, yard work, and riding around dirt roads. I am confused as to the significance of more amps vs more volts. Thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

boudreaux, you would NOT be at 48v if you connect your 6 batteries in PARALLEL you will have one very strong (AMP WISE) 8 VOLT battery pack, thats it (in SERIES, the AMPS stay the same, the VOLTAGE accumulates, in PARALLEL, the AMPS accumulate and the VOLTS stay the same)......so, for your cart to operate, you need/want 48v, thus you need your pack wired in series.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
R1D2
Getting Wild

Club Car

Welcome to thee boards.
Is your cart stock? Or modified? I hear the tires make a differnce to speed as well.
And I think there is a product here called xecllerator that makes a battery cart faster. You want speed right?
R1D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You have six T-875 batteries, which are 8V with a 170AH ratting.

If connected in parallel, you would have an 8V 1,020AH battery pack. An application it could be used for doesn't come to mind, but definitely not a useful battery pack for a golf cart.

Connected in series, they form a 48V 170AH battery pack which is very useful in golf carts and provides roughly the same run-time/distance of travel as a stock battery pack. (36V 225AH)

There are tons of variables, but in general terms:
Amps = Torque
Volts = Speed

The tricky part comes in when you up the battery pack voltage because it takes fewer Amps at a higher voltage to do the same amount of work and with the other factors being equal, going from a 36V battery pack to a 48V battery pack will increase both speed and torque.

Also, your motor, controller, cables and the other electrical drive components will run cooler at 48V.

Hope this help clear the fog.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO