lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
hilster
Not Yet Wild

Default Power Wise Charger Problem

I could use some help please. I have a 2000 ezgo cart and I have just replaced the batteries. I have hooked them up correctly since at the beginning of the series I have 37.8 volts. I have checked the batteries individually and they all have more than 6 volts. The problem I have is that the battery charger is cooking my batteries and won't turn off. I have done a little research and know there is a curcuit board that can be replaced but isn't there a relay on that board that senses when the charger should shut off and if so where is it and where can I order it. Thank you for any assistance you can give.
hilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power Wise Charger Problem

New batteries will charge longer than normal. How are determining that the charger is cooking batteries or unable to shut off?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
hilster
Not Yet Wild

the dealer I purchased the batteries from sent them fully charged but I thought I would put them on the charger anyway. They charged for several hours and they were boiling and started to smell and all had more than 6 volts when I tested them
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

your batteries should have more than 6.0 volts what where the readings

they do smell and boil from time to time also

if I remember correctly a charged battery reads around 6.37 volts
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
hilster
Not Yet Wild

Yes they all read more than that because they are over charging. The problem isn't with the cart or the batteries it is the charger problem it isn't shutting off even though the batteries are fully charged so my question is what relay do I replace in the charger. O r do I have to replace the entire cuircut board in the charger.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilster View Post
I could use some help please. I have a 2000 ezgo cart and I have just replaced the batteries. I have hooked them up correctly since at the beginning of the series I have 37.8 volts. I have checked the batteries individually and they all have more than 6 volts. The problem I have is that the battery charger is cooking my batteries and won't turn off. I have done a little research and know there is a curcuit board that can be replaced but isn't there a relay on that board that senses when the charger should shut off and if so where is it and where can I order it. Thank you for any assistance you can give.
At 37.8V, your battery pack's State of Charge (SOC) is less than 90%.
At full charge the reading will about 38.2V for the pack and about 6.37V for each battery.
Attached is a table showing Voltage and Specific Gravity at various SOC.

What is the pack voltage when it is on charge?
The charger has to sense something over 40 volts before it terminates charge.
If the pack voltage is over about 42 or 43 volts and the charger is still charging, the charger needs service.
If the pack voltage is less than 40 and the charger is still charging, it is functioning normally.
(Note: The batteries acquire a "Surface Charge" during the final charging phase and voltages listed in the attached table are after "Surface Charge" is depleted)

These are new batteries, so the have to be broken in properly to obtain full capacity. Here's a link to a break in procedure.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
While you're there, read the other battery articles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batterytable1118242f71.jpg (43.1 KB, 1 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
hilster
Not Yet Wild

Ok first of al thank you for helping I just checked the pack without charger on and I have 38.22 volts and with the charger hooked up I am at 42.6 volts. The charger will start out 20 amps and then steadily drop to 10 and stay there and not shut off.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes they all read more than that because they are over charging. The problem isn't with the cart or the batteries it is the charger problem it isn't shutting off even though the batteries are fully charged so my question is what relay do I replace in the charger. O r do I have to replace the entire cuircut board in the charger.

Ooops - you replied will I was typing ---- Deleted
Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok first of al thank you for helping I just checked the pack without charger on and I have 38.22 volts and with the charger hooked up I am at 42.6 volts. The charger will start out 20 amps and then steadily drop to 10 and stay there and not shut off.
I'm not sure what your chargers cutoff voltage is, so the Battery Pack might not have reached it yet, but it is getting up there in the ballpark.
Maybe a few more hours will do the trick. (Make sure the water level doesn't get below the top of the plates.

38.22 seems a bit low for new batteries being measured right after the pack comes off charge.
My batteries were manufactured in 2009 batteries and still measure 40+ a couple hours after they come off charge, so I put over a mile on them before I measure SOC.

A couple questions.
You say you just replaced the batteries, did this charger work with the old set? Or is it a new (to you) charger?
Does the charger have a delayed start-up when it is plugged into cart? (Sometimes the relay is bypassed - so the charger turns on instantly. If it the relay is bypassed, its becomes a manual charger and will not turn off.)

The problem of not turning off automatically is most likely the control board, but if it were mine, I'd let it run for at least another six hours. That 38.22 right off charge just isn't high enough.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
hilster
Not Yet Wild

Yes the battery charger worked correctly with the old batteries but they wouldnt last long. But I moved the cart and charger back to my home from a long bumpy ride on a trailer and I am wondering if the ride caused the relay to go bad. Once I got the cart home to work on it I didn't try the charger again until I put in the new batterties. I will leave it charging, it has been on for the past hour or so and I will leave it on for a bit to see if it shuts off. My feeling is that the auto timer is bad so I will have to replace the board unless you have another idea. Again thanks for your help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO