lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Buying a cart

I'm new here and I've taken delivery of a 04 Yamaha G22E 48vt cart on a weeks trial basis. The cart is going to cost me around $1700 delivered to my door .
It's in fairly good shape, it has a top , folding wind screen, no cracks in the body, the seats are good ( no rips), battery's are 5 yrs old and a 48 vt auto charger. I know it will need batteries in the next year or so, maybe sooner .

Would this be considered a good buy ?

The main reason to buy it was so my wife could drive it to her work ( less than a 1/2 mile one way ) and to scoot around town on the weekends .

I plan on adding a small lift and tires later on in the future.

Any pros or cons to these carts or should I go for the Ez-go or CC ?

Thanks ,
Vic
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Buying a cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-Racing View Post
I'm new here and I've taken delivery of a 04 Yamaha G22E 48vt cart on a weeks trial basis. The cart is going to cost me around $1700 delivered to my door .
It's in fairly good shape, it has a top , folding wind screen, no cracks in the body, the seats are good ( no rips), battery's are 5 yrs old and a 48 vt auto charger. I know it will need batteries in the next year or so, maybe sooner .

Would this be considered a good buy ?

The main reason to buy it was so my wife could drive it to her work ( less than a 1/2 mile one way ) and to scoot around town on the weekends .

I plan on adding a small lift and tires later on in the future.

Any pros or cons to these carts or should I go for the Ez-go or CC ?

Thanks ,
Vic
Sounds like a good deal on a 2004. Can the dealer or person have the batteries "downloaded" to see the "life" left in them"? Brand new would download at 105 minutes, if they downloaded at 70 minutes or less, ask for a break on a new set. We wouldn't want your wife being "stranded" would we! What does a new set of Trojan 8 volt batteries cost in your location? G22's have a pretty small amp rating on the controller so, a lift kit/bigger wheels and tires can effect performance. There good carts if you take care of the batteries. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info.

When it was delivered I was told that the batteries should be good for at least a yr or so. I've had it on charge for 8hrs and the charger seem to stay on "incomplete".

However , I checked the "pack" across the leads going out to the motor or controller ( I think) and was showing 50vts. I also checked each battery and it was showing 8+ volts on each. These were done W/O the charger connected . I also noticed during a charge the batteries are making a "sizzling/ hissing " sound, never heard that sound when I was charging my deep cycle batts for my boat. Not sure if its normal.

I need to call and check on a set of batteries.
Can the controller be upgraded? I would like to do things "right the 1st time" . Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vic
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
Dryseals
Not Yet Wild

I just purchased a 2003 Yamaha G22E about thre months ago. I did find a few things you might want to look into. First check tire alignment. The 22s use a singel point up front for pivoting the rear and a panhard bar for centering. As the cart ages and the springs sag, the rear tends push out towards the rear of the drivers side. If not corrected, the front will develop slack from steering and the tires will wear prematurely.

They use a king pin design for the front end, easy to repair. But the biggest draw back is that both the front and rear shock are very expensive. The rears are coil over and the fronts are actually the upper control arm and a coil over. It's a good design for a new cart, but for one you want to repair and lift or drop, it can be expensive.

Other than that, it's been a good cart, but if I had to do it over again, I would look for a cart with a simple design to the suspension, leaf springs.

I just bought a Watts linkage kit for centering the read, it's for a small car, but I can shorten it to make it work. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the front end. I've dealt with the king pin setup on foreign cars and the intregal shock, never really liked it.

Hope this helps. And make him drop the price for the age of the batteries, mine were 07's and I gave about the same price.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha