lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default g16 grease fittings???

I just picked up a 97 g16 and was wondering where all the grease zerks are so I dont miss any. I see there is one on the clutch how muck grease does this one take?
jadawg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: g16 grease fittings???

One on front drive clutch around the rim (two pumps only) and one on the rear clutch around the inside of the inner sheave, triangle area (ONE pump ONLY!). Grease these about twice a year, depending on how much you drive it. DO NOT over grease these, it will seap out on the the shafts and then the belt and you will have one big headache!

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
One on front drive clutch around the rim (two pumps only) and one on the rear clutch around the inside of the inner sheave, triangle area (ONE pump ONLY!). Grease these about twice a year, depending on how much you drive it. DO NOT over grease these, it will seap out on the the shafts and then the belt and you will have one big headache!
Spriddle,You always give great advise,but can I please add my advice? The secondary sliding sheave -you can have more than 1 shot of grease. Like you said you don't want grease on the belt,but the grease will exit out past the seal and only throw it up onto the seat and onto the rear body. The primary clutch is a whole other thing. Yamaha's and my recomondation...Remove the drive belt, remove the clutch cap, put the zerk fitting at 12:00 o'clock, shoot "1" shot of grease, push the clutch towards the engine and rotate the clutch so the zerk fitting is at 6:00 o'clock, get in there and wipe out any grease that has "weeped" thru the seal. Now reinstall and your good to go. Now, here is the reason, the primary clutch weight's/pins/collar's/spider and slider's are not to have any grease on them only the bushing face's were they slide on the fixed sheave. This is one reason they wear out/explode. Most people see the zerk fitting and start to pump in grease and cause the clutch to fail. Please don't think i'm a know it all, I'm not. I do know Yamaha's and I try to help when I can. Hope this helped. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Spriddle,You always give great advise,but can I please add my advice? The secondary sliding sheave -you can have more than 1 shot of grease. Like you said you don't want grease on the belt,but the grease will exit out past the seal and only throw it up onto the seat and onto the rear body. The primary clutch is a whole other thing. Yamaha's and my recomondation...Remove the drive belt, remove the clutch cap, put the zerk fitting at 12:00 o'clock, shoot "1" shot of grease, push the clutch towards the engine and rotate the clutch so the zerk fitting is at 6:00 o'clock, get in there and wipe out any grease that has "weeped" thru the seal. Now reinstall and your good to go. Now, here is the reason, the primary clutch weight's/pins/collar's/spider and slider's are not to have any grease on them only the bushing face's were they slide on the fixed sheave. This is one reason they wear out/explode. Most people see the zerk fitting and start to pump in grease and cause the clutch to fail. Please don't think i'm a know it all, I'm not. I do know Yamaha's and I try to help when I can. Hope this helped. Later Dave

Not a problem and anytime anyone knows a better way or has better advice, by all means, post it. The reason I post only one to two pumps in the clutch is that most people are not familiar with the clutch systems on these carts or much of anything about the cart and it posses the least chance of causing another problem. Safety first and the simplest explanation is usually the route I go with new cart owners that wish to do it themselves maintenance.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys I didnt even realize there was 2 for the clutches also I want to grease the whole cart if I just look around on the steering and front end and rear end is there any in goofy spots that I will miss?
Thanks again for all your help.

Jason
Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Those are the only grease fittings on the cart. It's a good idea to grease the king pins on the front a-arm ends if it has never been done. They are held in with a roll pin about middle ways. Be sure to use jack stands when you raise the cart.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Really there are only 2 fittings on the whole cart? I figured there would be more. Thanks guys I am really glad I found this site so I can get help with things I dont know.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha