lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
RRRDAD
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery losing voltage

Put in a new battery recently due to I was told the old one was no good.... but I still have the same problem.....The battery is charging normally but if I let it sit the voltage will drop... Currently it is 10.55 and it's been sitting for 2 days.......I did check and clean the ground wire that is under the black box..It has a new voltage regulator so it is charging correctly... Any ideas?
RRRDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
floorin04
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery losing voltage

If the battery is draining while its sitting.I would think you have a drain.Do you have anything hooked up on the cart like radio or lights??
floorin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
RRRDAD
Not Yet Wild

There is a radio and lights........Eventhough these items are in the off position how does one check to see if there is a draw on the battery?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Newer raidos will draw a small amount of power to keep the station presets, time, etc....I seriously doubt the radio is the culprit. If it were a month maybe but not 2 days.

The easiest way to find the culprit (at least it is for me) or at least narrow it down is to hook up your volt meter to the battery and start disconnecting wires......watch the meter to see if the voltage goes up each time you disconnect a wire. When I say wire I dont mean the battery cables... I mean the control wiring and accessory wiring. If the voltage doesn't go up then reconnect the wire. When you find the faulty circuit the voltage should go up a volt or 2.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
RRRDAD
Not Yet Wild

ok thx............Took the battery in today and one of the cells was dead ...so we shall see if the new battery cures the problem..........thx
Old 10-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
jclemmojoe
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone have a troubleshooting/method to check the charging circuit on a '97 gas Club Car? I have the wiring schematic and get less than 10 volts from the yellow wire off the generator when wire is disconnected from the voltage regulator. This is with VOM connected + to the yellow and - to the ground post on the battery. The starter works fine as long as the battery is charged externally. With motor running and everything connected with a hot battery I'm reading less than 12 volts to the battery indicating a charging problem. Trying to find out if I need a starter/generator or just a regulator.
jclemmojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

If I remember correctly: Disconnect yellow wire from the regulator, test voltage from yellow post as + and then to ground. You should be getting up near 15-17 volts... If not, replace starter/generator. If you are getting voltage, replug voltage regulator, then test voltage on batteries, it should be closer to 14vlts.

If not, check micro switches near the regulator (I'm pretty sure one of those activates regulator) If they are good replace regulator..

The starter can work just fine, but not charge your batteries, and you will still need to replace it... ..
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
jclemmojoe
Not Yet Wild

If I remember my old auto electronics classes I think that the old style generators (which I think these Mando units are) you disconnect the field wire and ground the field to bypass the regulator, if voltage climbs the regulator is bad. I think I'm just trying to confirm that we use the old grounding the field to troubleshoot. The DF post is the field I think. Obviously if the voltage remains stagnant at the battery you have a bad generator.

Thanks for your input.
jclemmojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

chances are you have a bad voltage regulator........not uncommon at all........i have yet to see the generator side of a starter go bad on a cart of that year but that dosn,t mean it can,t but the chances are much more that your V.R. went south on you.........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Pull both cables from the battery posts and put an ohm meter across them to check for a closed circuit. Then start unplugging circuits like the VR until it opens. It is more noticeable to trace it this way.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car