lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Lighting voltage help

So, I have these light bars on the front of my cart that I was planning on running off of a voltage regulator, but I cheaped out and bought an Amazon special that was no good. The lights I have are rated for 10-32 volts, 36 watts. I was just wondering how likely it would be to burn up my LED lights if I hooked them up to the entire 36v pack?
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lighting voltage help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhuck View Post
So, I have these light bars on the front of my cart that I was planning on running off of a voltage regulator, but I cheaped out and bought an Amazon special that was no good. The lights I have are rated for 10-32 volts, 36 watts. I was just wondering how likely it would be to burn up my LED lights if I hooked them up to the entire 36v pack?
The current regulator used in those LED lights has an absolute input voltage limit of 35 volts. Even a tiny surge of a few volts over that will punch through the chip fab in the regulator and cause it to short the entire input voltage through to the output, destroying your LED lights. You could buy more expensive LED lights rated for higher voltage, or buy a DC-DC converter capable of accepting 36 to 48 volts. If it were me, I would string some rectifiers (higher current diodes) in series to insert a fixed voltage drop to bring input the voltage down to within range. Be sure to use rectifiers rated for the current draw of your LED lights. Put say 10 of them in series, and remember, they will get a but warm as they dissipate some of the power. I use strings of diodes to build tail/turn/brake converters all the time instead of buying ready made converters.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #3
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So, I ordered these today, but I didn't get a 36v relay.

https://www.amazon.com/SUFEMOTEC-Off...+led+light+bar

Is there any reason I cant run these lights straight off the battery pack, running a 14g wire with a standard 12v lighted switch?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Assuming the 72 watts is the current draw and not the LEDs ratings, at 12 volts that would be 6 amps. As long as your switch can handle this, you don't need a relay.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

From what I can tell, the switch is rated for about 16 amps, so if I wire about a 10 amp fuse in there it should be OK, right?
Old 06-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: Lighting voltage help

Yep.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO