lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
kidchaffeur
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger Question - Delta-q

I have an '05 txt series cart and the seller provided me a delta-q "digitl power" charger (weighs 2-3 lbs, black and labeled with EZGO logo) It's much smaller and lighter than the traditional analog power wise chargers I am familiar with. Unfortunately, I can not find much information on any forum or on the mfgs website on this particular model? It is a model 915-3xxx. Is this a decent charger or should I request a power wise charger as advertised from the seller?
kidchaffeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger Question - Delta-q

That's pretty interesting.

Is it a 36v charger? EZGO started using Delta-Q chargers among others a year or two ago. I thought it was limited to the 48v systems.

I'd call Delta-Q and get with them. 604-327-8244 Option 5.

I'll be curious what you can find out.

If it were me and it works for the batteries then I'd keep the Delta-Q.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
kidchaffeur
Not Yet Wild

It is a 36v charger and appears to be working ok. I purchased the cart with old batteries assuming I could get by for a year or two before purchasing new?? Unfortunately, the '05 batteries turned out to be '04 (the seller credited me for the error). They appear to be charging ok, ranging from 6.37 to 6.25v among the batteries and 37.9v for the pack (I haven't checked the gravity in each cell yet). The cart does not run as fast or climb as well as our previous '98 freedom cart with '01 batteries (we had good luck with these). I returned the freedom to the in-laws as it was on loan and do not have access to the power wise charger at the moment to compare charging results.

I'll give delta-q a call...everything I have read about their charges seems good and apparently EZGO transititioned to these in '07?

btw...does anyone have a link or reference for checking the specific gravity of the batteries, what am I specifically looking for? Kinda new to this battery stuff...mechanical engineer!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
kidchaffeur
Not Yet Wild

Found the testing procedures on Trojan's web site...appears straight forward. Where can you find chargers for equilization? The delta-q I have is solid state...no access to dials or settings.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidchaffeur View Post
Found the testing procedures on Trojan's web site...appears straight forward. Where can you find chargers for equilization? The delta-q I have is solid state...no access to dials or settings.
Your batteries aren't coming up as far as they should.

Get with Delta-Q and see what you have.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum kidchaffeur.................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The new chargers are very nice. I do miss the 'meter', though. The only issue that I do not like is that they will only turn on if your battery pack has at least 27 volts. The original Powerwise chargers came on at 24 volts and the Powerwise II chargers come on at 6 volts. We have marked a few Powerwise II's for SHOP USE ONLY, so that we have a good way to charge customer batteries that are well below normal voltage. As for used golf carts - I give the customer what I get from EZGO when I buy them. Maybe your dealership has a few extra's? Maybe not? I will always give my customer the option, but when I only have one style, well, thats what they get You got to love the new solid state and features, though. Plus the weight savings is increadable

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
kidchaffeur
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response and welcome. I would agree the size and weight factors are nice. It appears to work well although I feel my batteries don't have much left in them...seems to be a recurring issue!

What should the full charge of the batteries be? I read in another thread that 6.37v was full charge? I have one or two in that range after removing the charger at full charge for 30 mins. I have others ranging from 6.30 - 6.25v. I will run the specific gravity test later today when things warm up a bit.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Mike, correct me if I am wrong, the new chargers are meant to be left plugged in all the time the cart is not in use. It is more of a battery maintainer than occasional charger and it WILL TURN OFF automatically when done. NO?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
kidchaffeur
Not Yet Wild

I just recieved a response back from Delta-Q's customer support. Apparently, these model 915 was designed specifically for EZGO which developed their own documentation. The guy for Delta-Q has submitted the request on my behalf to EZGO. I will share once I get the information.

btw...the model 913s do have a maintenance mode which allows you to keep the unit plugged in and automatically charges after a drop in 2 volts or 30 days. I hope this is the same for the 915, will be easier than training the wife and kids on charging maintenance.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO