lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Conductive electrical grease?

In another thread, someone mentioned he "Noloxed" some connections and that got me to wondering if there is an electrically conductive grease for Cu-Pb.

I've seen it for Al to Al, Cu to Cu and Al to Cu, but not specifically for copper to lead. (Copper battery cable lug to lead battery terminal)

Containing copper particles rather that Zinc or aluminum, Penetrox would probably work better, but if someone knows of one designed for a copper to lead interface, I'd loved to check out the specs on it.

Thanks,
John

PS - For those that have no idea what I am talking about.
When you file, sand or wire brush your battery terminals and cable lugs, the surface ends up being rough and all that touches are the high points.
This stuff fills in the low spots with conductive material and increases the surface area of the connection.

The same is true for the high current connectors and terminals on the motor, Controller and F/R, but those are Cu to Cu connections.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Conductive electrical grease?

Are you talking about "dyalectric grease"?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Are you talking about "dyalectric grease"?
No, dielectric grease is a non conductor. John is looking for a copper to lead " conductive " compound, and @ John, sorry I have not a clue! That will be something else worth researching!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If not for the EPA regulations, I'd just add a drop or two of Mercury to each battery terminal before putting the cables on.

Incidentally, not being able to use Mercury in dry-cell batteries any longer due to EPA regulations, is why AAA, AA C and D cells don't last as long as they used to.
Same chemistry and same amount of it, but you can't use as much of the chemically stored electrical energy because of less surface contact area between the poles and the electrolyte paste.
Net result, more disposable batteries in landfills. Ain't progress wonderful?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I dunno. Try Nevr- Seez. It's full of copper powder. Of course it's also full of non-conductive graphite, but it can't hurt to try. Heck, grab a tube of dielectric grease, a very fine hand file, and chunk of copper. Roll your own!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
multifasited
Not Yet Wild

I use Nolox ,as much to combat oxidation and corrosion ,a tiny dab will do,It's like prussian blueing in the respect get extra on you on sat. it will still be with you next thursday. Really works good ,a tube will last you a life time ,same with anti-sieze ,both good stuff ,and they both wear well on any thing they touch! Battery compartments are eat up with spills and vapors ,thats why all the
plastic tubs ,but that does'nt help the connectors or connections.

Thats my opinion,and I might be right!
Carl
multifasited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
tece50
Getting Wild

Club Car

Hi John-

When I sold high end audio, we used a product called Tweek, that filled in the spaces of the copper speaker wire that allowed for greater surface contact. I also found another one called Silclear. Both contain silver or gold "dust". Here's a link to both if you want to take a look.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/h...ilver_pens.htm

http://www.kempelektroniks.com/Acces.../Silclear.aspx

Never used the Silclear but the Tweek seemed to make a difference

Teresa
tece50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If not for the EPA regulations, I'd just add a drop or two of Mercury to each battery terminal before putting the cables on.
Off the record, will that work? I got a bottle full of the evil stuff. Anyone licking the asphalt behind me deserves what they get!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How would you get it to stay in place? I mean the theory is sound, but the stuff doesn't obey well, you know? I'm not sure the small gain in conductivity would be worth the effort. You'd probably be just as well off to clean both connections nice and shiny and sweat a small amount of silver solder over them.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

@ kab69440: I'm too lazy to roll my own.
BTW - Graphite is conductive, or at least the carbon in it is.
I had a teacher in a basic electronic course give the class a homework project. He held up a sheet of paper with about thirty resistors connected in series and parallel drawn on it and asked, "What is the resistance between Point A and Point B?". When asked, he projected it onto a screen so we could all copy it at the same time instead of passing the paper around, which would have taken forever.
The next day, we twenty students had about a dozen different answers because it was a complex circuit, not everybody copied it exactly and we were using slide rules (remember those things?).
Everybody groaned when the teacher used an Ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the actual lines drawn in pencil (graphite) between Point A and Point B.

@ multifasited: I haven't been able to find "Nolox", are you sure of the spelling?
I've been using Vaseline, which works okay keeping the corrosion in check, but does nothing for conductivity.
I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.

@ tece50: Been using Tweek and similar stuff on RCA plugs and critical connections for years, but it's designed for filling nearly microscopic voids and the voids on my battery terminals and lugs aren't microscopic.
It would work well on the Controller bus bar connections and motor studs, since those are smooth and they are not in the acid laden air that exists close to the battery tops.

@ yurtle: It works. Ever hear of relays or contactors with Mercury wetted contacts?
The real reason I don't use it (in addition to an outrageous fine if caught) is that it offers no protection against corrosion and I'm looking for something that does both.

Thanks to all that replied. The quest continues.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO