lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
hacum
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Engine runs; push gas pedal down - No Go?

I have a 97 resort villager (8 seater). I bought it about 6 months ago. Ever since I've had it, the motor turns over but when you press the gas pedal it doesn't go. Eventually it does but it takes it awhile. It might take 10 min. of pressing and releasing the gas pedal for it to finally engage. Once it engages the first time it seems to do fine after that (maybe the engine is warm). I just thought it was a cold engine that took some time to warm up (it was late fall/early winter) when I bought it. I haven't driven it much due to the fact I've been giving it a make over (I haven't driven it more than 2 total miles). Last night I finally got my new front leaf springs on and wanted to take it for a spin. I went through the usually ritual of pressing and releasing the gas pedal but finally the engine slowly stalled (as if I was out of gas). So I went to see and I did have gas in the tank. I seems like gas isn't getting to the motor. I do need to replace the fuel filters (they looked dirty). I'm not much of a mechanic. Any suggestions? Thanks!
hacum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Engine runs; push gas pedal down - No Go?

Hacum, clean the filters or replace them I do not know much about club cars but in the Yamaha gas stickies is a thread about fuel pumps see if your pump is that style or like it.
It sounds as if you have a fuel problem to me.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
hacum
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My gut feeling is that it's a combination of the dirty filters and a bad fuel pump (but again I am no mechanic). Last night when I was messing with it, I took the fuel filter off (the one closest to the pump) and then put it back on. I wasn't real sure how to clean it. Do you just blow it out with an air hose? Or just rinse with gas? After I put it back on, I tried running the cart. The motor ran for a couple of minutes before it sputtered off. While it was running, I watched the filter I replaced and I never saw it fill back up with gas. That's what makes me think the vaccum in the pump has gone bad.

Thanks for the advise and Your post was very educating!! The club car's pump seems very similar (mine's square). I was thinking of ordering a new pump so I guess I'll go ahead and do it.

Any other advise?

Thanks,
Old 03-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All the gas pumps are similar line in and out and pressure for the pump provided by the hose to the crankcase... first thing check the line from the crank for a leak.....Change all filters they are cheap .... and not much fuel will be present in the filter when running, don't worry about it as long as you have some...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
jezowski
Getting Wild

I would check to see if you had spark. Club Car are notaries for spark problems it is ether the ignitor or rpm limiter. located under the motor. Next time this happens check your spark
jezowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
jezowski
Getting Wild

To check you gas pump just pull the fuel line off your carb and step on the gas if fuel comes out it works
jezowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Please don't take this as an insulting question but nothing should take 10 minutes to start and you didn't mention it soooo,
Are you pushing and holding the choke knob?

crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Engine runs; push gas pedal down - No Go?

[QUOTE=crash12888;162811]Please don't take this as an insulting question but nothing should take 10 minutes to start and you didn't mention it soooo,
Are you pushing and holding the choke knob?

Good one...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
hacum
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No offense taken! I do use the choke and it doesn't seem to help. The motor responds a little bit but not enough to solve the problem. Once I release the gas pedal (during my ritual of trying to get the cart moving), most of the time the motor seems to run better than when I have the pedal down. I'll keep dowing this slowly and then I will finally engage the motor and start moving. Sometimes this takes 2 min. sometimes it takes 10 min. And as of a couple of days ago, It will not go at all. The engine bogs down and stops (while making a slight whinning noise) after about 20 sec.

Thanks,
Old 03-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Check one thing for me, remove the flex tube that runs from the carb to the air box from the carb,
In maintenance mode or with the wheels on jackstands, push the gas pedal about one inch while holding a rag over the end of the carb, If it starts and runs you have an air leak somewhere in your air filter assy that is not letting the choke work properly.
If it still acts up you need to remove the carb and dissassemble it. Soak it in something like the "Gunk" brand carb cleaner that the auto parts stores sells in gallon can, even comes with a little basket.
You have a varnish build up that needs to be cleaned out.

The low speed circuit of the carb is clogged and need to be cleaned, whole carb for that matter, float level set or checked, needle and seat checked.

Sounds worse than it is but after you do that and adjust the low speed mixture screw which you should screw in until it just stops and then out 1 1/2 turns, you will be able to just push the choke once and then go.

I am tired now and must rest................
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car