lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Boody
Not Yet Wild

Default 4coils in 6 months?????

New coil lasted 3 days?????? That is 4 coils from four different manufactures since January... Is there anything that could be causing this??????? That's a lot of money
Boody is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 4coils in 6 months?????

Again, I will ask, is it the primary or secondary side of the coil? Have you checked the voltage at the battery while revving the motor?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Boody
Not Yet Wild

I guess I'm not following your question. U mean just putting a volt meter on the battery during revving? If so, what is the result I'm looking for? I will do some research on primary ans secondary of coil.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

If it's the primary side that's blowing, that's usually because of improper voltage to the coil, or the coil isn't grounded properly. If the secondary side is going bad, it's usually caused by a bad spark plug wire, or cap. Also, if the engine block is not adequately grounded, it can blow the secondary side.

When revving the motor, I would expect to measure around 13-14.5 volts.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Boody
Not Yet Wild

Is there a illustration on here somewhere that points out the grounding points of the cart? Also, thank you for helping me out on this. I searched all over and exhausted all my knowledge on is cart!!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
agarage
Not Yet Wild

I, too am having coil problems on this 1998 CC Carryall. This will be number 4 coil- all since last August. The last one last only 4 trips. What could causing it?
agarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
pgagreg
Not Yet Wild

anyone have a reason why coils fail
pgagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sometimes (rarely) a bad batch of coils will emerge due to manufacturing issues but usually as mentioned above a a bad ground can cause the coil to pull too much amperage and overheat thus causing premature failure. Pull the battery and clean the connection of the ground wire where it bolts to the frame. Next, check the engine and axle to frame grounds. One at the front and the other at the rear. Clean the connectors and frame points with some wire wool or emery paper and dab a little electrical contact grease where it all bolts up. Finally, check your voltage back to the battery when the cart is hitting about 2,000 rpm or above. You should be seeing 13.5 / 14. 5 volts across the battery posts, NOT THE CONNECTIONS. Anything less or more and it might be the voltage regulator going bad.

Hope that helps you.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car