lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
kfree1711
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile More Torque? EzGO TXT

I think the answer is go 48V and bigger motor...but want to make sure.

I have a 2000 TXT, 36V, 4guage wires, Alltrax 400 programmable, heavy duty solenoid, 4 inch lift, larger tires. Speed is good for me (all paved roads) at 22 MPH. However, we have a few steep hills that causes my cart to slow down quite a bit.

How difficult is it to upgrade to 48V? Just a new motor that is 48V and two more batteries? Or must I also upgrade the controller?

If I stay 36V and just a new motor, what would you recommend? Someone (not here) mentioned lightning motors..but I wasn't sure.

I am trying to plan my next upgrade for October and want to do it right the first time.

Thanks in advance...

-Kelly
kfree1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: More Torque? EzGO TXT

since you have a 400 amp controller you can upgrade motors, But i still dont think that is your problem.

How old are your batteries, what brand are they. Do you have all 4ga or 4ga on batteries and 6ga going to the motor?
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
kfree1711
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Batteries are brand new Interstate ..4guage all the way around.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
kfree1711
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Does 6ga going to the motor make that big of a difference?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfree1711 View Post
Does 6ga going to the motor make that big of a difference?
Yes. In a series system, everything flows from negative to positive and any restriction will diminish your results. Think of it like a garden hose, if you have a 1" hose everywhere but the last foot that's only 1/2", you effectively have a 1/2" hose because that's all it will pass.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
kfree1711
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Dougmcp, I like that analogy. This weekend, I will upgrade the 4ga wires going to my motor to 6ga and see if that helps. However, do you think a different / bigger motor will help at all?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I think the 4ga upgrade to the motor will help a lot.
If that is not sufficient for you, the next step would be to put 48v to the 36v motor. You will see a definite increase in torque to take you up the hills. If you are currently at 22mph flat ground, your speed increase would be about 7mph (29mph).
Is your cart a series or DCS/PDS cart?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
golferjw1
Not Yet Wild

Changing to 6 ga from 4 ga would not be a upgrade because 4 is larger than 6. If you have 4 ga all the way around and are confident your batteries are strong, then you may need to consider another upgrade.
You do not need another motor, the stock motor will run on 48 volts.
golferjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
kfree1711
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info. It is a 36V fleet. If I decided to upgrade to 48V, would I only need to get a 48V motor or would I need to also upgrade the solenoid and controller. Currently, I have an Alltrax 400. Again, thank you for your advice.

-Kelly
Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

When doing a 48v conversion, the only things you need to do is the HD solenoid and batteries. New batteries can be adding 2 more 6v or all new 6x8v batteries. You will also need to find a way to charge 48v as well. Depending on what you want to do there are a variety of options with charging. The cheapest way is to use your original 36v charger and charge 36v and also attach a 12v auto charger to charge the last 12v section. The next cheapest is a used 48v charger, after that there is a variety of new chargers available starting at around $240.
You do not need to upgrade your motor to 48v, the 36v motor will work well unless you are trying to decrease your speed and increase your torque.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO