lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
hawkeyedm2003
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 81 EZGO 2 Cycle won't run, top end?

Hello all.....I'm new to this forum and to carts in general.
I recently bought a 1981 fixer-upper that looked like a great deal at the time. ($300) Problem is it doesn't run. After determining that it has good spark and plenty of fuel. I found that it literally has no top end compression (wouldn't even register on the gauge).
1st question, how do I determine which engine I have? I have determined by the carts serial number that its a 1981 2 stroke. I can get a top end kit on ebay for like $100. I want to make sure it's the right one. Any tips on replacing the top end?
2nd, If I am getting fuel to plug, do I need to worry about the bottom end? Way I figure, if I am pulling the engine to do the top end what else should I check? I noticed that the crank looked damp on the outside (crank seal). But if the fuel is being drawn to the plug is this really needed? If so how hard is this job and where do I find seals and gaskets?
3rd, I noticed that the lever that I believe to be the governor is not hooked to anything. Meaning, the cable is run over to and hooked to the carb, but the lever itself is not hooked to anything.

I have already pulled and cleaned the carb and fuel pump. Changed the plug and verified good spark. I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible as it is for the camp only and it needs some major cosmetic work to make it look sharp again.
Any advice is welcome, as I am a total newb to carts.

Thanks!
hawkeyedm2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 81 EZGO 2 Cycle won't run, top end?

When you replace the top end, you'ld be a fool not to do the crank seals at that time.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
hawkeyedm2003
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I pulled the engine and found out it is a 244 Robin. I found out that the piston rings were frozen and thus that makes sense why I had no compression.

I have a top end kit on the way and what I thought was a leaking crank seal was actually the cylinder leaking down onto the crank. So, the bottom looks good, no play in the bearings with a small tug on them.

I pulled both rear wheels to see what the brakes looked like, and found I need a set of shoes on one side.
Anyone know where to get 1981 shoes cheap?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Try any of our sponsors site. There listed at the top of the main page.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello hawkeyedm2003 and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
hawkeyedm2003
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Anyone know where to find, or for that matter what it's called, for the top of the airfilter? The part that screws on to hold the filter on the bracket.
I can't seem to find one.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
hawkeyedm2003
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well...I improvised. And for those that are in need, a top of spray can (large style) works good. I used one off a brand name tire cleaner, cut it down to about 1/4 inch, drilled a hole in the center and used it. The rubber from the filter makes the edge seal and the only thing you need to be careful of is to not over tighten it as it will crack the lid. But it works in a pinch.

Tags
compression, top end kit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO