lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
leedockoclock
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO GXT800 Gas Flood Damage - Repair Possible?

Hello! First time posting here. I apologize if this is the incorrect forum location!

My late 90s GXT800 gas golfcart was completely submerged in flood waters about two weeks ago. I originally was going to pull the engine and replace everything but I figured it might be a good learning experience to at least try and get it going again.

First steps I took: Completely drained oil and flushed the system with fresh oil (about 5 separate oil changes) until the oil was coming out clean. New filter etc. I then pulled the carb for a full service. Cleaned battery/connections and charged it. Drained fuel tank and replaced with fresh fuel. Took out spark plugs, cleaned area and replaced the plugs. Shockingly, after these steps, the starter worked normally and the engine attempted to turn over. One thing to note: the cart starts turning over as soon as the key is turned. (pedal switch short/broken?)

Compression is OK, not great, but about the same as before when it was running.

So we have compression, we have fuel... what about spark?

Second Steps: I'm getting no spark whatsoever from the spark plugs. Which didn't surprise me considering all of the electronics were completely submerged underwater. Pulled one of the plugs and grounded, no spark.

I checked the coil with multimeter and was getting no power at all when cranking. I replaced the coil (probably did these things a little out of order but hey, I'm no mechanic.) Still nothing. Then I replaced the CDI box.

Now, the CDI replacement part I got had a different plug and it also had an extra red wire coming out of the plug that the OEM part did not have. Every single CDI box I could find had this extra wire that the OEM part did not have. I verified the compatibility and everywhere online confirmed it. So, I went with it and modified the box by cutting the wires and connecting manually.

I double checked all the grounding wires and made sure they are clean and making a good connection. I then checked the solenoid. Positive/negative to battery connection reading 11.8V when not cranking and the other connections that go to the CDI/voltage regulator were fluctuating around 7.8V - 9V when cranking. The voltage regulator looked to be in great shape with no water damage and the connections were fine.

Still not getting power to the coil.

I replaced the pulsar coil and reconnected everything. I then replaced all the fuses that I could find. I double checked all of the connections. Still not getting power to the ignition coil. At this point, I'm not entirely sure what to do next other than completely redo all of the electronics again.

The fact that the engine is turning over and getting compression and fuel makes me believe I can fix it and all I am missing is spark. It is hard to give up at this point. What do you think?
leedockoclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO GXT800 Gas Flood Damage - Repair Possible?

Well, cutting a red wire from the ignitor (CDI) is likely your issue. Maybe post some photos, overall shot of the engine compartment from the top so we can see what you are working with, and a more close up shot of the area of the solenoid/voltage regulator/ignitor. Those electrical components are generally sealed pretty good...I can't imagine they are bad from the submerge. How long was the machine under water? Salt or fresh water? I suspect there is a wire improperly connected somewhere.

The other item is that replacement ignitor and coils are likely ebay/amazon cheap chinese components that are often bad right out of the box. Need to find OEM EZGO parts. Coil can be verified by Ohming the primary and secondary sides, the pulsar coil can be Ohmed, and if both test properly, they will be good. There are no tests for the ignitor though, but known good OEM part is important. Grounds on these are notoriously problematic, and considering it was under water, and is old, I suspect you may just have a grounding issue. Tight isn't always right. There is a ground side on the solenoid, and grounds are often picked up at the battery tray and the plate that holds the solenoid. If you run a jumper from the battery negative to the solenoid mounting plate, or the point where grounds hit the frame, you may find that it solves your issue.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO