lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2021, 02:47 AM   #1
Matthewb69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Electrified seriously not

I have a 1991 ezgo medalist with the 4 stroke Robin EH29C. I just purchased this cart yesterday knowing that it did not run. Definitely electrical. I have power going into one side of the coil pack and nothing on the other when turning over. I’ve gone through the wire harnesses looking for cracks in wires and chasing everything down with a 12 volt tester. Everything seems to be alright. Not long after I got it and a little tune up it started running, but unfortunately that time was short lived and I back square absolutely lost. I was thinking the igniter. I’ve seen in other threads where someone was talking about using a Chevy HEI coil pack, but that’s only one spark plug. I’ve exhausted everything that I was taught growing up (fuel, spark, compression, exhaust) now I’m lost and am asking one or all’s advice.
Matthewb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2021, 05:18 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Electrified seriously not

Assuming you have it turning over but not actually running currently, but you have had it running for a short while, I would suggest the ignition components are good. Therefore my suspicions would be concentrated around corroded connectors on the wiring or some components not seeing a ground connection. Concentrate on these things first and then let us know where you are at. If still no luck then we can get a bit deeper into it.

For your information, as far as i recall the wiring will be the same as later TXT models up to at least 2004. I am sure someone will confirm this soon.

The age of the cart is why i recommend checking wiring and ground connections as this is a common issue with these older carts and easily overlooked. Ground connections and in particular, the steel bracket that holds the igniter, solenoid and voltage regulator where it mounts to the frame can get very corroded. It would be a shame if the igniter was faulty as many 91 models had an igniter that had no rev limiter built in and you cannot find them or buy them for love nor money these days.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree...bad ground. Just because it is tight, doesn't mean its right. Take every ground wire off its mounting point, clean any corrosion down to bare metal and re-assemble. Also, the solenoid plate mounts to the battery tray, which mounts into the frame. As both the tray and frame are painted, and ground is often made at the tray, its a weak ground path back to the frame as it relies on going through bolts at painted steel. Extending a ground from the battery negative terminal to the battery tray or any point where grounds come together is likely to help. Also, make sure the bare heavy gauge ground wire that connects to the block under the coil is in contact with the block, not the plastic shroud.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Matthewb69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would like to thank you both! I went through the wiring (all wiring) it’s running now. I believe it has carb issues now. It keeps flooding out and dying. Took carb apart and cleaned it thoroughly. Now trying to adjust the screw coming out the side of the bowl to lean it out a little bit.
Matthewb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:35 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Unless you have a different carb fitted to your 295 twin robin, there are no adjustments available to tune the carb. If it it flooding, it is more likely to be the float valve leaking / not sealing when the carb is full. Glad to hear you have it running though.

What makes you think the carb is flooding?

As you have only just acquired this cart, I would suggest making some checks on the condition of the engine before going much further.

First thing to check on these engines is compression. You need to do two checks. One dry and another with a T spoon of oil down the spark plug holes. These tests need to be done with the carb held open at full throttle, and the coil disconnected. The resulting figures from these tests will tell us a lot about your engine. Once we have the results, we can then go on to check other things.

If you do not have access to a compression tester right now, I would suggest removing the black valve cover on the top of the engine and checking the valve lash. You are looking for two things here. First, is a gap of .004 and second, how much thread is showing above the lock nuts on the inner two adjusters compared to the outer two. A couple of pictures of the four adjusters will also tell us a lot. But a compression test will tell us a whole lot more.

you really need to check all these things asap,

Carb float valve, compression and valve lash.

You should be able to download the engine manual in the tech section for all the relevant information.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO