lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Tysonws
Not Yet Wild

Default Vanguard 14hp Trouble

So I have the 14hp vanguard in a club car XRT950 I have installed the rev kit from CPP along with the 23 hp cam governor removed completely, cylinders checked for wear rehoned and new rings still has the stock carb and intake. My brother-in-law has the same but completely stock and off the line he takes me by 2 cart lengths before I start catching up on top end. Is this normal or is it due to the restrictions in the carb not getting enough air and fuel. I want to get a two barrel intake and carb from the 23hp but can’t find one at a reasonable price and don’t know if I should even bother if it’s not going to help the situation any help would be great engine revs fine but is sluggish at take off and spits fuel from top of the carb as it Revs
Tysonws is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Vanguard 14hp Trouble

So I have some questions....

1. Is your cart and his cart exactly the same model?
2. Do you both have the same clutches?
3. What size tires do each cart have?
4. Do both engines have air filters? What type?
5. What type of exhaust on each?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
Tysonws
Not Yet Wild

Both the same model and year, clutches both stock and original roughly the same engine hours on both but mine is fresh rebuild same stock exhaust and stock intake, both have 25inch tires and both have the stock style air filter, also brand new drive belt on mine
Old 09-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
Tysonws
Not Yet Wild

Both the same model and year, clutches both stock and original roughly the same engine hours on both but mine is fresh rebuild same stock exhaust and stock intake, both have 25inch tires and both have the stock style air filter, also brand new drive belt on mine, both CVTs on the carts appear to be working the same and performing the same I’m only lacking take off really the cam is running strait up and the top end seems to be there, just felt like with the governor removed and the cam and rev kit I’d be able to rev a bit quicker it almost like I have lost my bottom end
Old 09-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am assuming they both have the same rear end gear. If someone put high speed gears in yours, it will take off slower, but higher top end speed.

If he has higher air pressure in his tires, he will have less rolling resistance and easier to get going. Check your tire pressures.

If the engine runs well, quick response on the throttle, I would be looking at the belt and clutches. Assuming both have similar age and condition clutches, maybe that belt is a tad longer or not as wide as his, or not grabbing as good as the old one.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #6
Tysonws
Not Yet Wild

JPonLKN I don’t think they make a set of different gears for it but I could be wrong, it might be in the clutches the belt is the only one that I can find that fits and it’s from club car I can’t find a different belt that would cross, when I say I catch up at top end it’s once he hits the governor I can rev beyond that I talked to them at CPP today and they said the stock carb and intake should be working fine with the modifications that I have
Old 09-02-2021, 06:14 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Edited....see next post
Old 09-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have a 16hp Vanguard (same engine) with a CPP cam and rev kit, stock single barrel carb....that thing runs like a raped ape. It has tons of low end torque. So I know that engine is capable.

So I looked up that cart, XRT950, that's not a golf cart at all, but a utility vehicle. It's also heavy at 1600 lbs. Most golf carts weigh 650-750 lbs. With all that weight the Vanguard 479cc isn't going to feel like a powerhouse, especially with passengers. I'm curious what kind of primary clutch you're running.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #9
Tysonws
Not Yet Wild

Correct it is heavy but even with the weight I feel as if it’s making much more power then it was before I think from reading both of y’all’s comments it could be in my clutches thinking about it his at take off puts you back in the seat where mine is more of a soft take off maybe I can get with Gboost and see about changing springs and weights might make it a little more aggressive at take off so he don’t get the upper hand.
Below is a picture of the clutch style that is on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9F9443B9-DFE8-4DF9-99BC-20C7A2649423.jpg (49.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #10
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Does your engine have the exhaust restrictors rings in place?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!