lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
colu41
Getting Wild

Default 91 Gas Club Car Stalling

So I've spent more money on this thing than I'd like to admit. Not cosmetically, but mechanically. But here's my problem. I would say 3/4 of the parts on this thing have been replaced.
I brought to a buddies house last year for a quick look over and ant adjustments needed. And last summer this thing was great! We took it for rides nearly everyday. Then all of a sudden one day we took for a little longer ride, and I noticed my gas guage went to zero. I thought my battery was dead. It stalled out, I pushed it home. And it obviously wouldn't start. So I through the battery tender on, and it showed a full battery!
Completely confused, I left the tender on overnight. Woke up, tried starting it, and nothing. Took the tender off, and said to heck with it for now.
So I went back to work for the week, and low and behold my daughter went out one afternoon a few days later, and it started right back up! What in the crap is going on?
I went down to a local shop and talked to them and they straight up told me they have troubles with CC of that year? But they mentioned some ignition thing. Forgot what it was but a very small piece of metal that was quite expensive for what it was, but I never tried it out.
Anyone have any suggestions? I would rather not bring it in to another shop just for them to "tune" it up, get it running for me, just for it to stall out a day or so later. (Happened multiple times up until last year)

And yes. The gas tank was full....
colu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2022, 08:35 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 91 Gas Club Car Stalling

When you say “nothing” does that mean it didn’t spin or turn over or anything? Or it just wouldn’t start?

My first thought would be microswitch or key switch but that all depends on what “nothing” means
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #3
colu41
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
When you say “nothing” does that mean it didn’t spin or turn over or anything? Or it just wouldn’t start?

My first thought would be microswitch or key switch but that all depends on what “nothing” means
By nothing I mean really nothing lol. Just the click of the pedal switch. Wasn't trying to turn over or anything
Old 01-20-2022, 08:57 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ok I’d suspect/check the key switch, microswitches, and solenoid. Is this the KF82 engine or the FE290? I can never remember exactly when they switched over I thought 91 should be a FE but I may be mistaken.

Just because the switch clicks doesn’t mean it’s making contact internally. Gotta check it with a meter and verify continuity.

It may be a little tricky to diagnose until it is in that failed state where nothing works… hard to diagnose a problem that’s not currently present.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:02 PM   #5
colu41
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Ok I’d suspect/check the key switch, microswitches, and solenoid. Is this the KF82 engine or the FE290? I can never remember exactly when they switched over I thought 91 should be a FE but I may be mistaken.

Just because the switch clicks doesn’t mean it’s making contact internally. Gotta check it with a meter and verify continuity.

It may be a little tricky to diagnose until it is in that failed state where nothing works… hard to diagnose a problem that’s not currently present.
I believe it's the KF82. And yes all the micro switch and solenoids are the only things I didn't replace.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:48 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d suspect solenoid last, but still possible. Most likely microswitches or possibly just a failed key switch. It is 30+ years old unless you’ve replaced it…
Old 01-21-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
colu41
Getting Wild

All 3 of these parts I can replace for well under $75 so..I may just replace it all and see.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Yes 1991 was the last year of the KF82 flathead so if its the original motor then that's what you have.

How old is the battery? Just because it reads the proper voltage doesn't mean that it can start/power the cart. Battery can still be bad despite a good voltage reading. My father-in-law's 2005 DS had this happen. Battery read just over 12V at rest...but hit the pedal and nothing. Tried a known good battery and it fired right up.

Could be those other things too.

Also have you tried bypassing the pedal and microswitches by putting a large screwdriver across the two big terminals on the solenoid? Solenoid is in that little black box under the driver's seat. If it starts firing then you can pretty much rule out the battery.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Wiring diagram is available in the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=926
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car