lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #1
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 G29 YDRE No Power

I purchased a used 2008 G29 YDRE and was told that all it needed was batteries. After installing the batteries, I got no power. I checked the batteries and the connections. I'm getting 48 volts across the pack. I also installed a new solenoid just in case. I'm not getting any clicking in the solenoid when I turn the key or press the pedal. The battery meter isn't coming on either. I have continuity between the posts on the motor (A1/A2 & F1/F2). This cart has a Run/Tow Switch, but there was nothing connected to it. I have a red wire that us connected to itself (See Picture) and a pin connector that doesn't connect to anything (See Picture). I've tried to look for pictures to see what everything should look like, but couldn't find anything. I was reading about a 3amp fuse somewhere along the wire harness, but I traced the whole harness and couldn't find anything. I could only find a 15amp fuse. I also have a 10amp fuse on the wires for the lights. My next thing would be to change the controller, but I want to make sure that is the problem before I purchase another one. Please help me figure this out!! I really like this cart and want to get it moving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220116_213538(1).jpg (102.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220116_213549.jpg (87.5 KB, 0 views)
graphictees is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 G29 YDRE No Power

There should be a 3 amp fuse on the driver's side behind the seat opening. Look at the Yamaha schematic. If that fuse is blown, you will have no power to the key switch. The Run/Tow switch should be wired in and it goes to the key switch. I doubt that your problem is a bad controller.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The connector in your hand is for Yamaha's infrared interface for their programmer. You should not have anything connected to it.
I wonder if someone spliced the two wires from the tow/run switch while trying to figure out why it wouldn't run.
If you find the 3 amp fuse and it is good, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the controller is bad.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:45 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Older YDRE are likely to need a new motor or at least new motor brushes. The Moric controller is prone to failure too. I have a 2009 and a 2012 and neither have original motor or controller now. Your Run/Tow switch is important to have if you ever need a tow. I would get the Yamaha wiring diagram make sure that your stuff is wired right. The 3 amp fuse should supply 48V to the run/tow switch which then feeds the key switch. That signal goes to the controller. You can measure at the key switch (to battery neg) and you should have 48V when you turn the key to on. You should get the reverse buzzer going off when you push the switch to reverse.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

The cart does nothing at all when I press the pedal. I think the red wire was supposed to go to the Run Tow Switch. Someone must have spliced it but I'm getting 48v from that spliced connection. I don't see a 3amp fuse anywhere! I followed the wiring harness and there is nothing. I am getting 48v from the key switch. I tested this by sticking the positive probe in one of the wires on the back of the key switch connection and the negative probe on the main negative battery post. I'm getting 48v with the key on and with the key off, so I don't know what that means. Also I realized that the battery meter isn't connected to anything (See Picture). I can't find a plug on the wire harness for it. Is there supposed to be one? I took pictures of the controller and motor. Are these original to the cart? If I need to change them, what would be the best ones to get? Should I get a new wire harness?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220117_104745.jpg (106.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220117_103317.jpg (111.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220117_103248.jpg (100.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Somebody has definitely been in there. The motor does not appear to be original.
The controller looks to be original. The connections on the controller have washers. That is not original.

Then there is the cut wires...
Old 01-17-2022, 11:33 AM   #7
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

So what should I do in this case to get this cart running? Should I get a new controller? Motor? Wire Harness? I'm lost here.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:42 AM   #8
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I get it.
This is one of those problems that will be tough to fix without getting my hands on it. You cant tell from the photos just how much it has been modified. I guess starting with replacing the harness would be a good idea. My gut is telling me the controller is bad but its too expensive to just buy one.
Replace the harness first but still expect problems after you do.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #9
graphictees
Not Yet Wild

Where can I get a harness from? Everywhere I search, I get the harness for the lights. The lights on this cart are new and work correctly.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The harness part number is JW9-H2590-40-00. It can be had from any dealer and should be under $200.

I hate to see you do this. Put this car in front of an experienced Yamaha tech and they can at least tell you whats going on with the wiring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha