lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #1
Ironman7523
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha runs rough

I have a 2006 yamaha g22a that started cutting out and would not start all the time. I cleaned the carb, replaced fuel filter, air filter, spark plug and clean fuel pump still cutting out and would not start without the charger connected. I replaced the battery same problem, will not crank without charger connected. Can it be an electrical problem that is causing it to cut out? I read where someone had this problem and replaced the drive belt and it cleared up, is this possible? Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ironman7523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Yamaha runs rough

So you are saying it will not spin over (crank) without the charger or will spin but just not start?
Do you hear a noticeable difference in cranking speed when you install the charger?
Just for giggles, put one half of a pair of jumper cables from the neg battery post to the engine block or good engine ground and try it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:20 AM   #3
Ironman7523
Not Yet Wild

It will not do anything like the battery is dead and when charger is hooked up it spins like a top.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Have your battery load tested at any auto parts store. You can read 12V with a multimeter from a battery but not have the stored "cranking amps" to spin it over.
Low voltage will make the cart run poorly as well.
If the battery checks out good, check all of your big cables from the battery to the starter/generator including ground cables and any ground straps for loose connections or corrosion.
Any of these issues will rob you of needed cranking amps.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Agreed.

Take the battery out, get it warm, charge it up overnight at 3 amps. Load test it. Under a load the battery should hold firm at 10.4 volts dc or higher, no less. If the voltage drops below 10.4 volts dc then it has an issue. A "dead" battery doesn't mean a "bad" battery. Some batteries can be revived by multiple charge and discharge cycles and adding acid.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
Ironman7523
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to everyone and we have tried all the suggestions and still no luck. The only thing left to do is either push in the lake or take to a shop. If shop cant take it then lake it is.

thanks again.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Well what were the results from your testing? We here usually spend more time in the bathroom than we did helping you troubleshoot....jus say'in
Don't throw in the towel yet.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:24 PM   #8
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Don’t call it yet - and if you decide on the lake, let me know where ! I’ll take care of it for ya . . .
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I had a similar problem with my G9 years back. Turned out to be dirt on the inside of the battery terminals where they contact the battery posts. I took a wire wheel to the inside of the terminals and hit it quick, never had a problem again.

Worth a shot. If battery is new, and still will only start when it’s hooked up to the charger might make sense if that was the case for you too
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Can you post any pictures of the battery cable area or general under seat area?
Somewhere you have a restriction of cranking amps to turn the starter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha