lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
dmcrowe1
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor Advice

I think the motor for my 95 Club Car DS (36 volt) is bad. I need advice on which type of motor to replace it with. It's a resistor VGlide cart and I'd really rather not spend the additional money necessary to switch over to 48 volt solid state right now on top of all the other money I've already sunk into it. Is there a good motor that will work well at 36 volts with the VGlide that would still work if I decide to upgrade to 48 volts in the next few years? Thanks.
dmcrowe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Advice

the stock 36 volt motor works very well (im told) on 48 volts......did you test motor ? why you think its bad?
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
dmcrowe1
Not Yet Wild

I have a short in the system somewhere. I used a multimeter to test the motor and it failed the Internal Short test procedure from the manual (there is supposed to be continuity across most of the terminals and there was not). I don't really want to replace the motor right now, but it and the Vglide controller are the only two parts I haven't already replaced and the VGlide tested out OK.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Not sure but the PQ Bandit may be a candidate. I ran mine on 48V and it ran great. Not sure about 36V but you can ask them. I plan on putting mine in the classified section so if they say it is a go, then I can save you some money. Plus there might be others on the forum who have upgraded and you might be able to get a good deal on a pull working motor. You can always put a WTB ad there.

M
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
InVision
Crazy Buggy Wild !!

Club Car

Duplicate Post. Admin please delete.
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
dmcrowe1
Not Yet Wild

That would be great InVision. Please let me know if you post it there. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #7
rib33024

Motors hardly every go bad. And yes you can run a 36 volt motor on 48 volts with no problems

is this how you tested the motor

you need to disconnect the cables from the motor

There should be continuity between A1 & A2, and between S1 & S2 or (F1 & F2 on a regen motor). You should have no continuity from A1 to the motor body, or S1(F1) to the motor body, or between A1 and S1 (F1).
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
dmcrowe1
Not Yet Wild

That sounds like what I tested. I don't have the motor (or cart) right now, or i'd recheck. I've taken it to someone to look it over for me since I'm so new to this and I didn't know what else to do. He's taking a LONG time to look at it, however, so I'm considering just taking it back.

Is there any other way to test the motor to see if it's bad? If it's NOT bad, i'm not sure what else could be wrong. The cart moves forward and back, but the controller sparks and sometimes catches fire when I put it into Forward gear.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
rib33024

you can do this with a 12 volt battery, and the motor has to be bolted to the rear end to do the test, you can not test it if it's not bolted to the rear end

http://www.empinc.biz/tech_support.p...troller_series

assuming that is a series motor...
2 posts connect to the brushes/armature (A1, A2)
2 posts connect to the field coil (S1, S2)

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
DKRgoods
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a regen II system and tested my motor by removing the cables and then using a battery tested the motor with the wheels in the air. My motor worked but since I broke two of the screws I had Plum Quick rebuild it.

Working good now. Oh yeah... bought a used 1999 club car with no batteries and I needed to test the motor.
DKRgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car