lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
clizbe1
Not Yet Wild

Default Bombardier suitable controllers

Looking to replace controller in my '98 Bombardier Sport NEV. There is a parts house that bought all of Bombardier parts inventory when they closed. I could buy another car for what they want for a controller.
clizbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bombardier suitable controllers

Can you post the specs of what is in it? 72v?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

weren't they all 72 volt? I would imagine an AllTrax controller could be configured for use in one.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The Bombardier NEV was only produced from 1997 to 1999 and used a 72v shunt wound motor with a 300 amp controller.
Any controller that can accommodate 72v with a minimum of 300 amps will work.
Curtis makes a model 1244-64 controller that is good to 80v with a 400 amp rating.
Alltrax doesn't list one but I'm sure they make them and Logisystems probably make one as well.

The batteries are a b*tch to change and they only have front brakes.
Misc parts are scarce but some may be located here: http://www.peacockltd.com/miscpage_002.asp

They're a cool looking little cart and still a couple of them running around in my neighborhood.
They looked like this:

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
The batteries are a b*tch to change
lmao, that is the understatement of the year........
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
clizbe1
Not Yet Wild

Hey Doug:

Thanks a bunch! johnsonenterprises1@comcast.net
Clizbe
clizbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

I like those little bombardiers. I found just the BODY from one locally for $80, and I'm thinking about buying it just to build something custom under it (since I doubt it will fit any of my EZ-Go or Club Car frames).
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP-Electronics View Post
I like those little bombardiers. I found just the BODY from one locally for $80, and I'm thinking about buying it just to build something custom under it (since I doubt it will fit any of my EZ-Go or Club Car frames).
I would bet with some tubing, a welder and some head scratching, a guy could fab up something to hang the body on an EZGO or CC chassis.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
SP-Electronics
Gone Wild

dougmcp, I am betting anything is possible. If I do acquire the body, I'd probably just build a custom tube chassis under it though, with A-arm front (and maybe rear) suspension, and throw a big engine in it. However, I've had ALL my cart projects on hold for quite a long time now. Lack of time and low funds keep me from enjoying things that I once did. I'm hoping I can get a couple things accomplished soon though. Wife has a whole week off starting Thursday, so I am hoping she can watch the kids while I find time to PLAY. I still have to get my limo cart with the quad front end and engine all assembled and prep it for paint.

I acquired a new "toy" a couple weeks ago as a trade for something else I had, and I'm going to focus some of my time on it first though. It's a racing TaG go-kart that I'd like to put on the track soon.
SP-Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #10
jackboy
Not Yet Wild

I just completed a controller and instrument cluster retrofit on my 1999 Bomb.

I was having ongoing problems with the cluster and then found I needed a new controller. I researched all of the available controllers suitable for separately excited shunt motors at 72V and found that there are only a couple of choices. The most common is the Curtis 1244 which is available in 400, 500 and 600 amp sizes up to 80 volts. I had a difficult time finding a 400A unit and then purchased a new, unused 600A unit for $350 on ebay.

The Curtis 1244 controllers use 72V control signals, so I needed to interface the 12V signals used for the control in the NEV.

I designed a relay logic control to replace the electronic instrument cluster and added a programmable pulse input meter for the speedometer. I had previously added a digital battery monitor. The rewiring was significant, however there were enough wires available in the original harnesses.

The NEV is again operational with some of the benefits of the new controller. I rented a programming unit from MRK Sales, mrksales.net , for $50 per month plus shipping. The controller is able to have 4 programmable modes of operation (like the NEV Drive/Golf modes), however the SPDT switch I used only affords me 3 modes. The controller supports a throttle/braking control so that when the throttle is reduced regenerative braking begins and at low speed plug braking (motor field reversing) takes over. The rate and amount of braking are programmable so that now the limited braking of the hydraulic brakes is not an issue. I limited the minimum shunt current to 3 amps as was the original controller which limits the maximum level ground speed to about 31 MPH as measured with a GPS speedometer. It can go about 20% faster with less shunt current but the amount of brush arcing increases along with the motor temperature (to the point of significantly reduced motor life) and 30 MPH is fast enough for my needs.

I have attached the full set of wiring drawings and a schematic of the instrument cluster. I also included a list of the instrument cluster parts and a photo of the layout.

This is a project requiring a significant technical skill and knowledge. I have been doing and teaching this type of work for the last 50 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controller Retrofit Wiring Diagram 1.jpg (61.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Controller Retrofit Wiring Diagram 2.jpg (173.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Controller Retrofit Wiring Diagram 3.jpg (167.0 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Components.pdf (3.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Controller Retrofit Wiring and Cluster Schematic.pdf (3.56 MB, 0 views)
jackboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts