lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Wink Auto brake adjusters

I have a 1998 TXT series cart with the stock brake setup. I recently replaced the shoes and went through all the brake components. I didn't fully seat the shoes when I reassembled the system; I just adjusted them to the point where they were just starting to touch. I wanted to be sure the automatic adjusters were doing their job. It appears they may not be.

I cleaned and lubed all the moving components, but while I had the hubs off, I noticed that the adjuster assemblies seemed to have a lot of play and could slip over the star wheel rather than engage and turn to adjust. I am wondering if this is the result of 21 years of wear and I need new adjuster assemblies, if this is just how they are, or if there's a way to take out some of the slop.

I figured I would ask those of you who have been working on these things longer than me before I get back into it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-03-04 00.11.04.jpg (140.3 KB, 0 views)
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Auto brake adjusters

Hard to tell from the pic, but I replaced the stars on mine six or seven years ago, and they still didn't appear to work, so I bought two "new" back plates from a member who had just upgraded to disks. The part that adjusts the stars doesn't appear to be changeable, and is a part of the backing plate, if memory serves.

I think mine may need to be hand tweaked every couple of years. They never appeared to work as well as older car brakes did. You could set those up, drive in reverse and brake a few times and know they were working.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah, that was my line of thought. I put it all back together then proceeded to drive in reverse pushing the brakes. I must've driven nearly a mile going backwards and they never snugged up the way I would have liked.

The star adjusters don't really seem worn, but the adjuster (I believe you're correct about it being attached to the backer plate) seems to be able to easily skip over the top of the star wheel without properly engaging. That's why I'm thinking it's got too much slop. I am considering pulling them and seeing if I can give the rivet a good whack or two to take out some of the slop. Whether this would do the trick or not, I can't say. I was thinking that someone here may have run across this before.

You have the same year model cart as me so I am gonna say that we'll have some similar experiences. I may just go ahead and adjust them with a brake spoon and let it ride for a while. As long as I can safely stop, I'm not overly concerned; but I do like to have all systems functional.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Mine were worn down about where the adjuster pushes the stars. The used backer plates were a little better looking, but I figured adjusting them even once a year is better than buying new backer plates. I tried bending the original ones, but it didn't help enough.

Buggies get a lot more brake pedal time per mile than a car, yet it seems way less robust, but remember what its purpose is - to last on a golf course for its estimated usable life - which we WAY exceed.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

As a service tech I went through this same scenario many times. The Adjusters just seem to wear out. I'm not sure what wears but I suspect the star and the tong that turns it.
A complete brake job should include 2 new adjusters. That's the only fix I found to work... When ordering - there are right and left adjusters.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

It's been a while, but if I recall, the stars are available, but the tangs are not. You have to buy a new backer plate. To do it right, both should be replaced, but I just got through sending you a buncha $.

For just $300 you can get all new passenger and driver's side assemblies at Shop EZGO.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
As a service tech I went through this same scenario many times. The Adjusters just seem to wear out. I'm not sure what wears but I suspect the star and the tong that turns it.
A complete brake job should include 2 new adjusters. That's the only fix I found to work... When ordering - there are right and left adjusters.
This is what I was thinking; I appreciate it. I adjusted it out with a brake spoon this afternoon to the point where the brakes function well. I will see how long it goes before needing another adjustment.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
It's been a while, but if I recall, the stars are available, but the tangs are not. You have to buy a new backer plate. To do it right, both should be replaced, but I just got through sending you a buncha $.

For just $300 you can get all new passenger and driver's side assemblies at Shop EZGO.
That is more than I want to pull out of the piggy today! I am going to see how long the manual adjustment holds satisfactorily and see how I feel about new parts at the next required adjustment. Though I am not the biggest fan of taking the wheels on and off; it only takes a few minutes.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Mine need adjusting now, but I drove for years before I needed to tweak them again. I didn't check but the backing plates are cheaper if you already have good shoes and stars. I didn't change my springs, which might be weak, but again, it worked with just stars and shoes, just limited auto-adjusting.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Had same problem,brakes, not self adjusting.
After I did the completed cable, brake pedal free play, ect. ( keep in mind the brake system needs all components adjusted as a system per manual in correct order to work properly) found brake cable “travel” was incorrect due to eagualizer adjustment being too tight.
After proper adjustments found right side star wheels teeth had worn just enough that self adjuster would slip over star wheel and not turn it as needed to make self adjusters to work. Replaced both side star wheel adusters and all works well. Make sure backing plate is clean and lubed in correct points such as where shoes contact it.
My lesson learned. Make all brake measurements, adjustments in correct order and to the proper measurement.
HTH😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, ezgo, loose adjuster, stop
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO