lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
dwaters416
Not Yet Wild

Default Lithium conversion questions

I have done a very low budget lithium conversion on a 2006 club car ds iq with spex drive. I’m using the Chevy volt battery pack. My question is can I remove the obc. I will be mainly using a 6amp charger for the pack but I also want to be able to use the stock charger for a quick charge. How would I go about hooking up the stock charging port so the charger will turn on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dwaters416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
cricketo
Getting Wild

Default Re: Lithium conversion questions

It is a 48v buggy, correct ?

If I remember correctly, Volt modules are 12s configurations. Max voltage on those things is not more than 50.4 volts. While it sounds like a perfect match for four 12 volt lead-acid batteries, the thing to remember is that Lead-Acid is charged in excess of 14 volts, or almost 60v for four in series. In addition, equalization charge is even higher.

So unless your stock charger has been reprogrammed to correctly charge a 12s Lithium battery, it may be very dangerous to attempt to use it on that pack.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
dwaters416
Not Yet Wild

Yes my cart is 48volt. I used a 12s and a 6s Chevy volt pack but only using 14s of the packs. My max voltage is 58.8 but I cut the charger off at 57.5 ( checked with a digital meter). I have a smart charger that I will be using all the time but wanted to keep the option of the factory charger for a quick little pack boost. The factory charger will charge 1 volt to the pack every 7 minutes.

dwaters416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need to do the OBC Controller lockout and OBC current control by-pass:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...bypassing.html
After that in order to turn the external powerdrive "charger" ON/OFF all You need to do is to connect the gray sense wire from the charger receptacle to negative.

You either permanently run it to negative, add a switch to manually connect it to negative or use some kind of relay automation to control on/off.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
cricketo
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaters416 View Post
Yes my cart is 48volt. I used a 12s and a 6s Chevy volt pack but only using 14s of the packs. My max voltage is 58.8 but I cut the charger off at 57.5 ( checked with a digital meter). I have a smart charger that I will be using all the time but wanted to keep the option of the factory charger for a quick little pack boost. The factory charger will charge 1 volt to the pack every 7 minutes.

Ah, I see. Still, it would be better if you use something like DeltaQ charger programmed for Lithium specifically.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium