lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2016, 12:21 AM   #1
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default 99 CC DS solid state conversion HELP

The low down; finished installing Scotty's C74 package tonight along with the SW202 reversing contactor and a custom torque D&D motor.

I gave everything a third look over to make sure each cable/wire is installed correctly according to the supplied diagrams. All wiring was replaced with new.

Without touching the accelerator, as soon as I rock the toggle switch into forward, the cart takes off WOT popping a wheelie! The only thing that keep me from flipping out of the cart was my gorilla grip on the steering wheel because I haven't reinstalled the back rests for the seats yet!

I can't figure out what's wrong? I get a click from the solenoid when turning the cart on and all hot wiring on one side of the small nut and all negative on the other. Clearly the motor works. My pot resistance is 4.88k pedal up and .01 pedal pressed. 49.9V across the pack of new US Battery batteries. I'm stumped and in need of guidance, can someone please help???
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 CC DS solid state conversion HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
The low down; finished installing Scotty's C74 package tonight along with the SW202 reversing contactor and a custom torque D&D motor.

I gave everything a third look over to make sure each cable/wire is installed correctly according to the supplied diagrams. All wiring was replaced with new.

Without touching the accelerator, as soon as I rock the toggle switch into forward, the cart takes off WOT popping a wheelie! The only thing that keep me from flipping out of the cart was my gorilla grip on the steering wheel because I haven't reinstalled the back rests for the seats yet!

I can't figure out what's wrong? I get a click from the solenoid when turning the cart on and all hot wiring on one side of the small nut and all negative on the other. Clearly the motor works. My pot resistance is 4.88k pedal up and .01 pedal pressed. 49.9V across the pack of new US Battery batteries. I'm stumped and in need of guidance, can someone please help???

I see 2 problems.
1. The pot reading is backwards. It should be 0-5k not 5k-0. If you got it from me - return it immediately. Do not try to drive the cart.
2. the solenoid activation circuit is wired incorrect. The solenoid should not click (energize) until the pedal is depressed.

Email me at scottyb@cartsunlimited.net for tech support on installs
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Okay, I'll email you about the pot. Could the solenoid be activating when I turn the ignition on because the pot reads 4.8k with the pedal in the neutral position, making the solenoid think the pedal is pressed?
Old 05-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Okay, I'll email you about the pot. Could the solenoid be activating when I turn the ignition on because the pot reads 4.8k with the pedal in the neutral position, making the solenoid think the pedal is pressed?
The pot has a micro switch which is the final switch in the + supply to the solenoid activation circuit. This switch MUST be in the off position when the pedal is up. IF it is not 2 possibilities exist. You have not installed the throttle linkage extension supplied. The bellcrank assembly is not mounted in the correct location on the frame rail causing the pedal to not return fully.
See illustrations showing the bellcrank in the vertical position when pedal is up. The pot will naturally open the switch (off) when in this position. Send pics of the bellcrank installation (at rest) to my email so I can take a look at what you have there.

Also a note to everyone: When working on your carts drive system always jack at least one if not 2 rear wheels up off the floor when testing the system for the first time. Surprises like reverse direction or reverse throttle can have dangerous results. Please be safe!
Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Okay, I just sent the pics. But for everyone else who may benefit from reading this thread I'll explain and attach pictures later.

When the pedal is not pressed (no go) the wiper arm of the pot is the rear-most position (towards the back of the cart) and I get 4.8k ohms (which is just as good as 5k per Scottyb) and the MS on the pot is not engaged (no click). When I press the pedal fully (go), the wiper arm moves towards the front of the cart, I get a click from the MS and 0 ohm resistance.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

And definitely listen to Scotty about raising a rear tire. Be safe guys!!! My wife said she wished she had her phone recording me at the time!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A picture is worth 1000 words. Mystery solved! You will be good to go in a minute. I'll let NCPW explain.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: 99 CC DS solid state conversion HELP

Waiting...
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Scottyb's the man!

I had the pot turned backwards. Makes since now that it's been flipped.

The wiper arm of the pot shouldn't have tension on the spring when the pedal is neutral (0 ohms from the pot) and should gradually move forward as you press the go pedal down until you reach the required 5k ohm reading.

Pictures to explain:

Before talking to Scottyb:
Driver's side view, neutral pedal.

Passengers side view, neutral pedal.

After talking to Scottyb:

Go pedal neutral 0 ohms

Go pedal pressed, 4.89k ohms
Old 05-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Everything works great now. Very impressed with the speed of this motor and I already know it has the torque since it was like riding a rodeo bull before flipping the pot correctly. Popped a wheelie one time and made a 3' burnout on dry concrete the other time! I'll have to GPS the speed once I charge the pack up since I didn't find too much concrete info on here about the D&D ES-58 before buying. I just went on Vic's suggestion when I gave him my components and what my uses for the buggy would be.

Now just to add a fuse to the charging receptacle, mount the headlights, taillights and 48-12V converter, I should be almost done with the "Go" part. My wife's itching to work on the "Show" part. Paint, fender flares and other goodies are waiting in the garage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car