lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #21
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Honda 24hp carb and linkage controls

Before i drop the bill on a new tank, has anyone had this happen? I cleaned it out real well when I did the carb. Going to pull it out again and inspect it. It was crazy the filter was completely clogged with a paste the same color white as the tank. It only happened after I put the new gas in it and it sat over night.
consalvo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #22
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Never have seen the plastic tank break down. When you have the tank out look it over good, bottom included. Maybe it has been damaged somehow and someone has put some sort of sealer in it and that is breaking down. some of these tanks are over 30 yrs. old and still in good shape.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #23
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The previous owner had trouble too. That carb is the new style replacement for the GX670, it is what they are using on the GX630,660,690 that replaced the older series. The big flat washer and screw are holding in the pilot jets, remove that and pry them out. The low speed screws have springs under them so I take a Dremel tool and remove the material around them so they will turn. Turn them until they gently bottom counting the turns then remove them to clean. That carb came with 100 size main jets for use with the 670. That is a fairly new carb.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvkersh View Post
The previous owner had trouble too. That carb is the new style replacement for the GX670, it is what they are using on the GX630,660,690 that replaced the older series. The big flat washer and screw are holding in the pilot jets, remove that and pry them out. The low speed screws have springs under them so I take a Dremel tool and remove the material around them so they will turn. Turn them until they gently bottom counting the turns then remove them to clean. That carb came with 100 size main jets for use with the 670. That is a fairly new carb.
Don't use a dremel, the caps are just held on with green loctite. Heat'em up with a small torch or a heat gun and they'll pull right off. if they don't heat them more, do not bend them.

Not exactly the same carb, but nearly and it shows you what to clean.

Go get a Fram G1 or equivalent filter $4. Should be large enough not to clog. Do you know if anyone ever ran race fuel or leaded gas in the cart? The lead would explain the white residue if it was allowed to dry out.

However, if it has spider cracking in the plastic, it will need to be replaced.

If these tanks get exposed to the AZ sun it destroys them in a few weeks. They are not UV protected plastic. Where are you located?

Maybe someone can stop by and give you a hand.
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #25
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Why take them off?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvkersh View Post
Why take them off?
So you can easily adjust the Idle Air bleeds and clean the passages.

You can always loctite them back on after you have it set.
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

I will try to pull the tank and have it all cleaned by the end of next weekend. Tons of homework this week. Thanks for all of the responses. Will get the fuel going and will pull the carb again to check to see if that crap clogged anything else. Thanks guys
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #28
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

It looks like a seat from a vw sand buggy. A little update. I pulled the gas tank off and it had a few plugs in it and look like crap so I sacked up and ordered the new one for $100. Figure don't want to mess with a leaker in the future. Going to order new springs for the gov. and throttle assembly tonight as well. Wondering if I should order a new coil as well. Original owner said the left coil gets hot and kills the cylinder. Has anyone used the after market coils on ebay. They are like 30 bucks and the OEM ones are like 70. Just wondering. Figure the cover is off which is a huge ain in the butt with the long travel so thinking I might just get a new coil so I know its good. Any thoughts.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #29
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I went to a small engine repair shop and bought a used coil for $25. The owner said the coils are not the same . He said it matters because of the timing . I have no idea if this is true, but you might want to make sure .
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #30
consalvo21
Not Yet Wild

So update. Pulled all the throttle springs off and ran a wire to the throttle only and bypassed the governor. Ran great. Had to be mindful of how fast I was going but the thing cruised around 37 mph with two grown men on it. Really fun cart. I need to look into the gov more and see why it acts up when its together correctly. Order new spring so should be here next week. Cart is now getting torn apart for paint and some cleaning.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!