lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Garyokc
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart runs slow in forward but faster in reverse

I just got my 96 txt going. Put a new controller and solenoid. I noticed that it is very slow in forward but much faster i n reverse. I was looking around the cart after a short drive and noticed that the cable that come out of the center of the f/r switch is hot. The post itself that it connects to on the f/r switch seems to be a little loose. My new controller does not use A2 so I removed it. the cable that is getting hot comes off of the same post on the F/r switce. Any advise? thanks!
Garyokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart runs slow if forward but faster in reverse

Anytime something gets hot it means a bad connection! " Scottyb " has kits for your F-R switch. ( http://www.cartsunlimited.net/ ) You may also have a half speed reverse lead on your controller. If it gets power either forward or reverse, it will cut down your speed! Do the F-R switch kit first, and then you can check your controllers setup for the reverse speed hookup.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It could also be that two wire are crossed on the F&R or at the motor. That would cause the speed issue also.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Garyokc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Anytime something gets hot it means a bad connection! " Scottyb " has kits for your F-R switch. ( http://www.cartsunlimited.net/ ) You may also have a half speed reverse lead on your controller. If it gets power either forward or reverse, it will cut down your speed! Do the F-R switch kit first, and then you can check your controllers setup for the reverse speed hookup.
How can I tell if i have a half speed lead on my controller? I am going to replace the F/R switch because I noticed that the center post seems loose. I can turn it back and forth even though the cable is tight on it. Thanks
Garyokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyokc View Post
How can I tell if i have a half speed lead on my controller? ...............
Don't know the pin-out on the Alltrax, but on your original controller I believe it's Pin-3.
The orange wire from controller to MS-4 on F/R switch. MS-4 also turns on beeper when in reverse.

If it is connected, you get half-speed in reverse.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It makes sense that you are looking at 2 different problems.
One; you need a new F&R and if you have increased the size of the controller you need to upgrade the cables and the F&R.
Two; it sounds like you may have the directions switch on the F&R for forward and reverse. The simple solution would be to swap the location for the cables at 9 and 3 o'clock on the F&R when you reassemble.
Remember to disconnect battery power BEFORE disconnecting the switch cables. and of course mark their location with tape and pen.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyokc View Post
I am going to replace the F/R switch because I noticed that the center post seems loose. I can turn it back and forth even though the cable is tight on it. Thanks
"Center Post"? The "center" nut is not an electrical connection. Do you mean the "Top" post?
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good catch, Wiz. I read that as top center also .... Center nut is the tension on the switch cam . It must not be loose.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
gotmud10
Getting Wild

Scotty B wouldnt it have to be a swapped wire at the motor not the f&r? I believe if a wire was swapped at the f&r, you would go reverse in fwd and fwd in reverse.
gotmud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
Damaged1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Um .... You guys done here ? I'm following this one because I have a cart doing the same thing ..... My 91 ezgo electric was stolen and dumped in a ditch ... I found it a year later and it runs but only slooow forward and fast backward ? Go figure ... I'm gonna fix it as soon as I get a chance
Damaged1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO