lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: DS excessive oil consumption

Did you replace the reed valve? It's like a PCV valve for a car engine. "Looks fine" and "Is fine" are not the same. Oil getting past the reed valve would likely not make it down the intake tube to the air box. You'll just have a lot of oil in the carb inlet and some in the intake tube.

Yes, you can remove the head without removing the engine from the cart. It's a bit of work to get the muffler out of the way and get the air shrouds off, but easily doable.

If you go that route, before removing the head spin the crank so the piston as at TDC for the compression stroke and both valves are closed. This way there's no pressure on the push rods.
Any failure of the head gasket should be pretty obvious. If there is no obvious leak path or failure point around the fire ring for the combustion chamber, you'll need to go ahead and pull the motor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

Sounds like good advice. I’ll take it....thank you!!
Motorman 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman 007 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. This doesn't smoke at all and burns a half a quart every 3 days. Cart is not lifted. Definitely signs of oil in the carb where the breather tube connects.....Is the reed valve replaceable? Also, no external leaks of any kind....
Our club car was using oil . Had a lot of blowby. I put a catch can between valve cover and carb. Now it uses very little oil. I just didn't want the blowby going in carb. I don't know how but catch can makes it uses way less oil !

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A7-30F using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #14
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

What brand and weight oil are you using?
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #15
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Phillips 66 synthetic blend 10w30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAbear View Post
What brand and weight oil are you using?
Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A7-30F using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

Hi guys. Well summer flew by and not much time to dig into the cart. Pulled the motor out and pulled the head off today. Head gasket doesn’t appear to be the culprit. When I turn the engine by hand and the piston retracts downward it leaves a noticeable coating of oil on the cylinder wall. This combustion chamber is soaked with oil. I’m going to get a ring set. Can I get the piston out by going through the crankcase cover? Can I access the connecting rod bolts on the crank this way? Any more tips? Thanks
Old 09-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You will need to remove the clutch and the engine side cover. The bearing may stick in it but usually comes off pretty easily with a little gentle persuasion. :)

You can pull the rod cap off from there and push the piston out the top no problem. Measure ring end gap of the new rings before installing them in 3 or 4 places. I always like to run a home through it just to deglaze the cylinder walls and help the new rings seat a little better.

While its apart it's a good time to replace valve seals and inspect the valves for wear. Check the link rods between the crankshaft and the counterbalance weight as well and make sure theyre tight. The biggest failure point in these motors is when the pins come loose and the counterweight goes flying around... creates quite a mess.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #18
Motorman 007
Getting Wild

So I bought a clutch puller on eBay and tried to get the clutch off today. Frozen solid. I feel like I went easy...tapped the bolt. Tightened it a bit tapped the bolt again....now the push rod is stuck inside the shaft. Am I screwed? (Pun intended)
Old 10-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Sometimes you just have to work at them, but theyll come off. The only one that's ever REALLY fought me I had to destroy with a hammer beating it off, but half of the clutch was already missing (it exploded on the previous owner) so I really didnt care, I just wanted it off. Got puller tight as I could, hit it a couple times and it came right off.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #20
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman 007 View Post
So I bought a clutch puller on eBay and tried to get the clutch off today. Frozen solid. I feel like I went easy...tapped the bolt. Tightened it a bit tapped the bolt again....now the push rod is stuck inside the shaft. Am I screwed? (Pun intended)

Well hopefully you didn't buy the 14 dollar puller.

When they are stuck like that, you put the bolt in as tight as you can and then with a 2x4 put it up against the clutch and hit the end of the wood with a hammer.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car