lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
33bull
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car obc bypassed charge time?

I recently purchased a 2001 club car ds it’s in great shape with new batteries the only issue is the charging obc is bad and have been bypassed .. the previous owner bypassed the charger so it just constantly charges as long as it’s pluged in.. my question is there a meter I can install or how do I know how long I should charge after a ride? Thank
33bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car obc bypassed charge time?

If you don't replace the bad charger with a new smart charger like the Accusense DPI charger them new batteries will become old batteries real quick. A good estimate for a timed charge would be 1 hour of charge for each 30 min of driving. BTW did you verify the age of the batteries?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yes, you need to replace the OBC or get a smart charger, which is more efficient.

And in manual operation, I like to hook up a DVM and once it gets to 61-63 volts, I shut it off, As Walt stated, this is a short term solution, and not ever meant to be normal operation.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Naz24car
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Go with an Accusense charger...the bypass will eventually kill your batteries as was mentioned earlier...same money as a new OBC... but you never have to worry about it going bad again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naz24car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #5
Naz24car
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You do not need to replace the OBC and get a smart charger...just get the charger and put the black lead from the OBC to the neg side of your 48 volt pack...the smart charger will regulate the chaging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naz24car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #6
Roxyflash
Gone Wild
Club Car

I had same issue i yanked the obc the light on dash was going off and on driving me crazy the charger would sometimes charge then not.I ran the negative wire for the solenoid then i took the charger apart for the charge cord wired it to my smart charger ran the negative for receptical now you plug the chsrger in like the old one no more light on dash works like a champ the extra wires from the light i used for a horn the positive from key switch and the wire used for the ground side of light i wired it to negative added a push button switch and 48 volt horn.The nice thing is the three wire plug on obc is right next to controller so i cut it off used the green wire which goes to solenoid put a ring terminal with the brown wire to negative brown for negative on my horn under the dash capped the red wire .Nice and clean looks like factory wiring.
Roxyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car