lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #101
Rwalsh77
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Converting to Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
My Trojan T-105's are approaching the 5 year mark. I'm seriously considering the conversion to Lipo4 batteries.....but I need to obtain "more education" at this point.

Ebay a couple Chevy volt 12s (48v) packs and run them in parallel for good range as well as peak current performance. Chargery makes a great dynamic charger but I cannot say where to get them since I sourced mine locally. A new coulomb counter gauge is recommended since it will track the amp hours you have used. If you are running any 12v items, they will need to be run through a voltage reducer.

Hit me up for more details or specific questions. I have done 3 conversions now and cannot stress the benefit as long as you educate yourself on the basics

There are many of us here that can help you so just ask!!

Also, I can send you links to all the parts I have been using if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rwalsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #102
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwalsh77 View Post
Ebay a couple Chevy volt 12s (48v) packs and run them in parallel for good range as well as peak current performance. Chargery makes a great dynamic charger but I cannot say where to get them since I sourced mine locally. A new coulomb counter gauge is recommended since it will track the amp hours you have used. If you are running any 12v items, they will need to be run through a voltage reducer.

Hit me up for more details or specific questions. I have done 3 conversions now and cannot stress the benefit as long as you educate yourself on the basics

There are many of us here that can help you so just ask!!

Also, I can send you links to all the parts I have been using if you want

I would love to see your links to parts. Thanks
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #103
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have been following this thread for a little while and re-read the entire thread today. It seams to me that going lithium is no easier or less expensive today than it was 3 1/2 years ago when this thread first started. Am I crazy?
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #104
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I am with you sowilliams. My Trojan 875's are on their last leg, but it just doesn't seem like prices are falling like one may expect. A bummer, but I'm thinking one more set of 875's are probably in my future : (
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #105
Jim C
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsoshl View Post
I am with you sowilliams. My Trojan 875's are on their last leg, but it just doesn't seem like prices are falling like one may expect. A bummer, but I'm thinking one more set of 875's are probably in my future : (
One benefit is think about the time you've spent on maintenance for the past couple years. I have spent less than 5 min. total checking voltage about 4 times.
No cleaning battery terminals or corrosion.
This alone to me has been worth it.
Not to mention the performance benefits.
Jim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #106
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

All you have to do is drive a lithium cart and you will be convinced. Plus the maintenance free aspect as Jim C mentioned.

E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #107
Rwalsh77
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Converting to Lithium

here you go guys!

the last couple post have made all the best arguments for lithium... and if you source things well enough, you can almost match the cost of the Trojans but end up with 2000 cycles on Lithium vs 400 avg on FLAs

the torque curve on lithium is instant, your cart will be about 300 lbs lighter... just educate yourself a bit on the tech before you make a decision

the below list is simply a guide... use these items to help you search things out...

eBay battery Listing: (find something like this...)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Chevy-...oAAOSwlAZaa7Vh

eBay Listing with bad-*** charger (discard the voltmeter it comes with)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48volts-4kw...UAAOSwvvBawPEG

Voltage Reducer: (MUST HAVE, do not tap into partial pack voltage)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gauge/Coulomb Counter[emoji20]main thing here is the 300A current rating, must have a high rating like this but do not confuse it with your controller output...)

Fuse Block: (optional)

Negative Bus Bar: (optional)

China Charger (just make sure you get one matching the series portion of the batteries you buy)
12s Charger (10A - faster charger than 4A)
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Li-io...70_&dpSrc=srch

Chargery Charger (Bad-*** version)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chargery-C1...4AAOSwExlaVRDC

the cheap charger will always take the batteries to FULL charge, lithium lasts much longer if you always keep it between 20% and 90% charged. the bad-*** charger allows you to charge almost any type of battery. you set it all up with an LCD screen and dial. this allows you to cut off charging at say 90% and prolong the already stupid long life of these batteries over the FLA's you're used to!

last thing to make sure you NEVER, EVER... EVER, EVER do with lithium is to let it fully deplete. the likelihood of recovering from it is low. recommendation is to always keep it above 20% charge without running the BMS (battery management system)

Also, don’t get worried that these lithium batteries only have 94ah ratings. Since you can safely use 80% of that you have 75 usable ah... FLAs only give you about 45% usable so the equivalent would be about 165ah FLA.
Rwalsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #108
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Great info Rwalsh77

Thanks for the listings!!!
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #109
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, lead acid batteries are rated deceptively. They are rated at a "20 hour rate". If rated at a "1 hour rate" like lithiums are, the lead acid batteries would only have about 55% of the rating we commonly use to select lead batteries. In my testing, 100ah lithiums deliver the same energy as a set of (higher AH rated) T-875 batteries. Factor in the weight loss for the cart, and you will easily have more range than a set of 8v lead batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #110
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got 30 miles on a charge yesterday. 2 Chevy Volt 47AH batteries in parallel (94AH).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180416_072215.jpg (177.2 KB, 0 views)
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO