lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
doughboy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default my first post and problem

i have just found this site.i didnt relize one even existed.well i aquired a 1979 g1.the problem i have is/was it wouldnt turn over,so i cleaned up the brushes in the starter/gen and it would spin over but wont turn the motor over.it seems like there is a tight spot in the motor when you turn it over by hand.almost like its on compression stroke.normally that would be fine except the plug is out.whats the next step?im trying to just get it running on the cheap side right now.im not oppssed to an engine swap as long as i can get it cheap(i told the wife that this is going to be an cheap easy project lol)i dont want to dump a boat load of money at it untill i can at least drive it,then comes the lift, tires,rims,and power.anyway i wont keep ramplin.this site seems pretty cool.i hope to be spending more time on the site to pick everyone brains.thanks
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: my first post and problem

Welcome to BGW! You'll enjoy your time spent here. Lots of good stuff.
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: my first post and problem

Welcome Doughboy,
Does it feel like a mechanical drag at a certian point or does it just feel like a slight compression build up?
The crankcase will build some pressure/vacume and have a resistance similar to but lower than compression when the piston goes down and back up. That's how it draws fuel into the motor.
If it is more than that, I would pull the exhaust and intake off the cyl. and peek at the piston for carbon or lean condition scoring. Topend kits are fairly cheap.
Keep us posted. Mitch
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
doughboy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

well here is the update.i pulled the top end.it looked ok.but i discovered the rod is real tight on the crank.i cant pull up on the rod to simulate the stroke.im guessing the crank was starved of oil.now where can i find a replacement engine?
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

You can rebuild that engine. Talk to Tom at CPP for a rebuild kit.

Check here>http://www.cartpartsplus.com/

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
1980G1
Not Yet Wild

I got a complete engine for mine from Affordable Golf cart on Ebay. The guy was awesome to deal with. I got a brand new short block for $450. All I had to use was my head, carb, intake and exhaust. No core. It was going to cost me almost $400 to rebuild mine.
1980G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
1980G1
Not Yet Wild

I got a short block assembly from Affordable Golf Carts off Ebay for $450. The guy was great to deal with. It was going to cost me almost $400 in parts to rebuild mine. I bought the short block, a new carburator, the rubber intake, and all gaskets delivered for $650.
1980G1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I've dealt with Keith at Affordable several times with success but have also had more than one issue with parts not showing up at my door.
Not bashing anyone, just what happened.

Keep our sponsors in business.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
I've dealt with Keith at Affordable several times with success but have also had more than one issue with parts not showing up at my door.
Not bashing anyone, just what happened.

Keep our sponsors in business.
I hhave dealt with him many times but I also have the advantage of him living about ten minutes from me so I go to his house and pick the stuff up.....He's always been very helpful and knowledgable....he gave me the best price by far on my g1 jakes lift as well....he even listened to my grip about having to weld the older steering knuckle/arms and now sells his own machined replacements.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
emarch42
Not Yet Wild

hi, my name is manny, i have a 1997 g16 gas cart, i am having oil burning problems and need help. i kinda messed the cart up last year , putting to much oil, now i know, not a good thing with these carts, and then this year, after winter, went to start, and the bowl got stuck and filled the motor up with gas..cleaned the carb and got it running, it runs good. now i ran it for 2 hours and it does not smoke as bad, when i mat it to the floor, it is ok, but when i pump the pedel, well the smoke is there. i am thinking rings or valve guides??? can someone help.....let me add, i just had a baby and money is tight...but can`t stand the smell ...i am pretty good with engines but don`t know where to start and if i can do it...anyone have options??i can`t aford one of those big block...nice motors... anyone have a used motor??? ok..i am rambling.... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
emarch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha