lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Bill R
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 99 DS v-glide to controller conversion

99 ds v-glide conversion is in the works.
Going to use Scotty's package with the 400/800 amp 36/48 v solenoid, pot box, hardware and 500 amp controller. I am replacing all cables with 2 awg.
I was just wondering: Once the conversion is complete what do I need to monitor as we ascend the long, steady 6-10 minute climb? Does the motor become the weakest link at that point? Scotty says the stock FNR (providing itbis in decent shape);will handle the new system without issue. Have any of you found this to be true through experience?
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Bill R
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 99 DS v-glide to controller conversion

Scotty's kit went in without issue. The stock fnr seems to handle the amperage without issue, just a little heat. The motor is heating up and needs to be watched for a while. All that can really be watched is the temp of the motor housing and wires, but I am not sure what would be considered too hot a temp for the housing.
Using a dc amp clamp, I recorded max amperage values while traveling up the hill with one adult passenger. We are in the 250-280 range. I turned current limit on the controller all the way down (which is 50% or 250 amps) and it didn't affect things at all really, so I am leaving it there.
I am just throwing this info out there........
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
TAT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Have the exact same kit! Haven't put it in yet,did you take any pics of the process?also how did the power change. Did you get more run time?

Last edited by TAT; 09-29-2014 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Added a question
TAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
Bill R
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sorry, no photos. Just follow Scotty's instructions and you will be fine. As I thought, the motor became too hot when going up the long, steep hill. We added 2 more batteries and that helped a ton but still too much heat at the motor. We have decided to remove the 22" tires and go with 18's. A high torque motor and hdfnr would be the answer if we wanted to keep the 22's, but the big tires had no real tread so they would have to be replaced as well. The smaller tires were the affordable option at this point.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car